Parent Communication Overview
FCPS is committed to providing parents with regular news and information to support student learning and to promote family involvement. FCPS communicates in many ways, such as:
- Student Information System (SIS) – SIS is the FCPS secure online solution for accessing your child’s student information. The content index includes information about:
- report cards
- class schedules
- school information (calendar, contact information for school and staff)
- emergency contact/ physician information (updates should be made through weCare@school within SIS ParentVUE in the FCPS Links button)
- course history (middle school and high school)
- course requests (middle school and high school)
- gradebook (middle and high school)
Your SIS Parent Account login credentials can also be used to access Schoology (see more below).
All parents/guardians of middle school and high students, who have registered for a SIS Parent Account and have a primary email address recorded in SIS, receive Weekly Progress Reports.
Students also have access to the Student Information System through SIS StudentVUE.
FCPS Text Messaging for Parents – Parent cell phone numbers that are listed in the SIS are automatically enrolled to receive text messages. Text messaging is an additional way to quickly and efficiently contact parents when your child’s school or district needs to notify you in cases of emergency, attendance, and essential communications related to your student(s) education. Note that the text messaging option is not meant to replace primary modes of communication (email, phone message, school website, or backpack letters).
- Schoology – Schoology will help you stay organized this school year. It is where you will go to find all your assignments, resources, and announcements for your classes and groups. You can also use Schoology to communicate with your teachers.
- Naviance Student - Naviance Student is a comprehensive website designed for parents of middle school and high school students who are making decisions about academic plans, colleges, and careers.
- weCare@school - This emergency care information system is available to FCPS parents/guardians who have a SIS ParentVUE account. Parents can enter and update their children’s medical data at their convenience online. Contact information provided automatically enrolls parents to receive eNotify communications from the district and their child’s school.
- News You Choose – This subscription-based, email communication tool is used for the distribution of non-critical communications such as newsletters, events, news updates and other topics. Parents can subscribe to hundreds of offerings including:
- FCPS This Week
- advanced academic programs
- career and technical education
- parent resource center
- special education
- school psychology
- school board – individual member newsletters
- schools – individual school
- Social Media – The following social media platforms are used to connect with parents and students:
- Cable TV – FCPS produces award-winning programming that is used in schools and broadcast on three open cable TV channels—21, 25, and 99.
- Contacts – Questions, comments and suggestions are welcome. If your communication involves a specific student, the first step should be to reach out to someone at your child’s school, such as the teacher or principal. Other communications can be directed to regional offices or FCPS departments.
- Parent Liaisons – Parent liaisons are available in most FCPS schools to help parents better understand the school system and advocate for their children’s education. Bilingual Community Liaisons are also available.
- Parent Information Phone Lines - For parents who do not speak English as their first language, support is available. Callers can leave a message and receive a return phone call within 24 hours, Monday through Friday.
- Parent Resource Center - Free workshops, confidential consultations and over 7,000 lending library materials available at the PRC help ensure that ALL students are inspired, engaged and thriving.