Retirees Make Excellent Substitutes
We Appreciate the Dedication of Our Retired Teachers!
You are a valuable resource, and we need your experience and expertise to ensure that our students thrive! We know that you will make a “SUB”stantial difference in our schools!
When applying to be a substitute teacher or substitute instructional assistant, please have the following documents ready to upload.
- Word Document with your name and ID number. You will upload this document in place of your transcript.
- Name and contact information for 1 reference or 1 letter of reference (signed and dated within the past 12 months.
- If you have retired within the past 3 years, you do not need references if you were rated effective or highly effective on your last performance evaluation. You will need to complete the reference section with references and emails and mark no when asked if we may contact your references.
- You must have a 30-day break in service from your last day worked. Please note that summer is not included in the 30-day break. For example, if you retire in June, you will be eligible to work in October.
- You must complete Onboarding and the Fingerprint/Background process due to your required break in service. You will need to have a TB test or TB screener dated within 1 year to complete the Fingerprint/Background check.
- If you have any questions about the effect of working as a substitute on your current and future retirement benefits, please call VRS toll-free at 1-888-827-3847 and/or the Social Security Administration toll-free 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Social Security Administration website.
If you have any questions, call the Office of Substitute Employment at 571-423-3030 (option 1).
Substitute Information Sessions
We hold weekly virtual information sessions during the school year for external candidates looking to learn more about becoming a substitute teacher or a substitute instructional assistant.
- The virtual sessions are held weekly on Wednesdays from 2-3 p.m. Candidates will receive an email link to the session on the Monday before.