Connecting Classrooms With the Community
Service learning is a teaching method designed to involve students in authentic and meaningful service to their communities. Service learning makes connections between the classroom and the community and provides structured time for students to reflect on their service experiences. It is intended to instill a sense of civic responsibility by encouraging students to access their impact on the community as active contributors to society. Students can engage in a variety of activities.
Service Learning is encouraged for all FCPS students. FCPS is documenting the successful completion of service learning projects for students in grades 6, 8, and 12. High school students may accumulate service hours leading to special recognition at graduation (i.e., service learning cord or Virginia diploma seal of excellence in civics).
- Grade 6: 5 hours
- Grade 8: 15 hours
- Grades 9–12: Students should complete 10 service hours per year for a total of 40 hours. Students may choose to complete 50+ hours to qualify for the Virginia Board of Education diploma seal for excellence in civics education. See Virginia Department of Education for criteria.
Elements of Service Learning
- Meets a real community need.
- Through investigation, students identify a relevant need in the community and community partners.
- Thoughtful and well-planned learning experiences.
- Students research and make a detailed plan.
Connects with Curriculum
- Brings classroom learning to life.
- Service is connected to the curriculum and helps to foster global and ethical citizenship.
- Supports global and ethical citizenship.
- Students reflect throughout the process of service learning.
- Makes a positive impact in the community.
- Students provide evidence that, through action, they contribute to solutions that benefit the community.
- Aligns with interests and career goals.
- Students demonstrate how they will use what they have learned in the community and the impact on their career goals and interests.
International Service Learning Program
Fairfax County Government Agencies
Follow Us @FCPSServLearn