High School Academies and Specialized Programs
Helping students to explore and train in a variety of careers.
A high school academy is a center within an existing high school that offers advanced technical and specialized courses that successfully integrate career and academic preparation.
Advanced technical and specialized elective courses are available at the Academies for students interested in pursuing careers in the following career clusters:
- Food and Natural Resources
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, Audio/Video Technology & Communication
- Education and Training
- Government and Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety, and Corrections
- Marketing Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Transportation, Distribution and Logistics
Enrollments in the Academy elective course offerings will provide juniors and seniors with career and academic preparation for postsecondary education and career fields. Students enrolling in Academy elective courses will be provided with opportunities to participate in a variety of career experiences including shadowing, mentoring, and internships with local businesses.
- Choose an Academy or specialized program
- Review the Academy and other specialized programs course offerings to identify the course and location you are interested in attending.
- Think about a second course choice in the event your first choice is full.
- Discuss your course interests with your parent or guardian.
- Find more information about the academy and other specialized courses.
- Complete the registration for Academy and specialized programs with your school counselor.
- Current FCPS traditional high school students: meet with your school counselor so that they can complete your online registration.
- With your counselor, discuss your academy class schedule. You might consider taking an online course for credit if attending the academy requires a class period for travel.
The deadline for registration is in March. Late registrations after this date will be considered on a space-available basis. You will need to complete the registration for academy and specialized programs form with your school counselor.