Office of Division Counsel
The Office of Division Counsel provides legal advice and legal defense for Fairfax County Public Schools.
The office provides the following services for the school division and its staff:
- Advise the Superintendent and other leadership team members about legal matters
- Help region assistant superintendents and principals on a variety of legal issues
- Help draft policies, regulations, and legislation
- Represent the Superintendent in administrative hearings regarding employees
- Negotiate with opposing counsel to resolve disputes involving our employees and students
- Train staff members regarding legal issues
- Coordinate outside counsel and oversee legal fees
- Advise on a variety of legal issues, including employment disputes, students’ first amendment rights, contracts for instructional materials and software, subpoenas, and new legislation.
The office is not able to provide legal advice to parents or the general public.