Procedures for Student Complaints and Appeals (Secondary Grading and Reporting)
Details the steps for student or parents/guardians who believe that conditions of the school or decisions made by staff members are not in their best interest.
Per Regulation 2601, Student Rights and Responsibilities Booklet, students who believe that conditions of the school or decisions made by staff members are not in their best interest may present complaints to teachers or school administrators who shall make themselves available or schedule appointments to hear these complaints. The principal shall notify, in writing, the director, Office of Equity and Compliance, of complaints alleging discrimination.
Meeting with the Principal
- If a student is not satisfied that a complaint previously presented to a member of the school staff has been resolved satisfactorily, the student or parent/guardian may request a meeting of the student, the parent/guardian, and the principal.
- The principal may require the parent/guardian to attend and shall, following the meeting, promptly inform the parent/guardian in writing of his or her decision on the complaint.
- The principal shall notify, in writing, the director, Office of Equity and Compliance, of complaints alleging prohibited discrimination.
Complaint to Region Assistant Superintendent
- The principal's decision on a complaint may be appealed by the student or parent/guardian to the region assistant superintendent within two school days following receipt of the principal’s decision.
- The written complaint shall state precisely the reasons for the dissatisfaction with the principal's decision and shall be limited to the matter under review.
- Upon receipt of a written complaint, the region assistant superintendent shall promptly review the complaint and inform the student or parent/guardian in writing of the decision.
- The region assistant superintendent may, at his or her discretion, include a meeting with the principal and the student and/or parent/guardian as part of the review of the complaint.
- The decision of the region assistant superintendent shall be final.