Special Education Teaching Opportunities

Special education positions, including occupational therapist (OT), physical therapist (PT), speech-language pathologist (SLP), and career and transition teacher.

Let us help you make a difference in the lives of students. Come to us with your compassion and creativity, and Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) will offer you the resources and opportunities you need to succeed. We can help you shape a fulfilling, purposeful, and lifelong career.

How do you work best--in small groups, a self-contained classroom, an inclusive classroom with co-teaching, or another model? FCPS has a variety of work environments available. 

Special Education Positions

Meet Some of Our FCPS Family

A Journey Across the World

Catherine Lee had a successful career in marketing at a financial institution in Hong Kong, but knew her family needed to make a change in order to support her young son who has special needs. She and her husband searched across the U.S. for a school district with top-tier special education programs, landing on Fairfax County. 

Special Education Teacher Lee

“Seeing the Pure Emotion” of Learning is a “Privilege”

After 25 years as a physical education teacher, this year Kirsten Birge went back to school herself, in order to support and assist her special education students in a new way. While working toward licensure, she has moved from the gymnasium to the classroom; from being an adapted physical education teacher, to a role as a multiple disabilities teacher.

special education teacher kristin birge

Interested in Starting a Career as a Special Education Teacher? You've Come to the Right Place!

Transitioning to teaching can seem overwhelming at first, but the result is a rewarding career that makes a meaningful difference in the lives of students with disabilities. Learn more below about becoming a special education teacher with us!

Do I Need a Current Teaching License?

To become a special education teacher you will need to qualify for a provisional teaching license.  This means you must have at least a bachelor’s degree in any area, you must have taken or be willing to take an introduction to special education course, and you must commit to continuing your education to meet full licensure requirements.  

  • If you have already taken an introduction to special education course then you may be eligible for a provisional license and you should explore our job opportunities.  
  • If you have not taken an introduction to special education course, but have a bachelor’s degree in any area, then please continue to explore this page to have your question answered about becoming a special education teacher! 
  • If you do not have a bachelor’s degree then consider becoming a special education paraprofessional and learn about opportunities to earn your degree while you are employed.  

How Do I Become a Fully Licensed Special Education Teacher?

  1. With your four-year, fully accredited bachelor's degree, you can get hired with FCPS as a special education teacher trainee.
  2. Register and complete a Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) course that contains the foundations and characteristics of educating students with disabilities along with the legal aspects for special education provisional licensure.  (Example: Introduction to Special Education)
  3. Submit your application for provisional licensure and work to complete any additional requirements within the VDOE specified time frame.  You may wish to attend an FCPS Licensure Information Session to learn more about this process.  
  4. Apply to upgrade provisional licensure to full teacher licensure.
    •  FCPS highly recommends enrolling in a state-approved teacher preparation program to complete all requirements and become eligible for a VA professional license.

Once hired by FCPS as a full-time, contracted employee, you are eligible for tuition reimbursement and any other supports and initiatives available.

What Are the Different Types of Special Education Teaching Jobs?

Some special education teachers work in partnership with general education teachers and provide instruction for students who access the general education curriculum. This means that they teach students with high-incidence disabilities or those disabilities that occur more often, like learning disabilities or attention deficit disorder. These special education teachers are licensed in “Students Accessing the General Curriculum,” which means they are teaching the same standards all students learn, but in a different way. 

Grow Your Own Program for FCPS Employees

The Grow Your Own Program helps train many special education teachers. In the video, you'll hear program participants talk about how they get help with school tuition and personal coaching. Plus, they work together in groups to support each other.

Employees, Applicants, and Retirees

Submit questions or concerns, as well as upload forms and other documents through the FCPS StaffConnect portal. Human Resources representatives are also available for assistance Monday – Friday (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) by calling 571-423-3000 or 1-800-831-4331.