It's a big step for our little ones!
A child may enter kindergarten if he or she turns five on or before September 30 of the year he or she enters school. A child who will be six years old on or before September 30 must attend school. However, a qualifying parent may elect to provide home instruction for his or her school-age child in lieu of school attendance.
All kindergarten programs in FCPS are full-day and are housed in our elementary schools. Check your school’s web page or contact the school for specific enrollment information and dates of orientation that typically occur between mid-March and the end of June.
- The FCPS boundary locator service provides the names of the elementary, middle, and high schools assigned to each home in the county.
- Contact your child’s school to make arrangements for enrollment. Most schools begin getting information together in late March or early April for parents of incoming kindergartners, and many schools host an orientation or open house.
- You will need to register your child at the school he or she will attend. See: Registration Requirements.
- Student Registration, 703-204-6740, provides school enrollment for:
- Students whose home languages are other than or in addition to English. (Multilingual registrars are available to help families with limited English proficiency.)
- All students whose natural parents or legally adoptive parents do not reside in Fairfax County.
- Students in foster care placed by other Virginia counties or by out-of-state agencies.
- FCPS has implemented procedures for the enrollment of homeless students. Parents or guardians of families experiencing homelessness may contact the Homeless Liaison Office at 571-423-4322 or any Fairfax County public school for enrollment assistance.
- Additional registration information.
Enrollment Forms for New Students
Enrollment forms bundle, Registration Form, Emergency Care, Health Information, Home Language Survey, Criminal Conviction, Juvenile Adjudication Affidavit, Military Connected