General Registration Requirements
Registration for your student in grades 1st through 12th
Welcome to Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS)! We're glad to have you join our school community.
5 Steps to Register Your Student
Parents of students entering 1st through 12th grades should follow the instructions on this page to complete the 5-step process for student enrollment.
For kindergarteners, please see the separate kindergarten registration page (link below) for the most detailed information.
Military families will register using the 5-step process below; however, see Military Families: Planning your Arrival to Fairfax County for additional student registration information to help with the transition.
LET'S GET STARTED!
STEP 1: Determine Eligibility
The following two factors determine a student's eligibility to enroll in FCPS:
- Residency - Children must be living with a parent and residing in Fairfax County.
- Age - Children must be age 5 or older by September 30.
STEP 2: Determine Where To Register
In order to start the registration process, please fill out the Home Language Survey form (link below). The form must be completed for all students registering in our schools.
Home Language Survey
The survey results will help us direct you to the location of an appropriate registrar who can help you at any point in the registration process.
- English Only - Students who have English as the only language shown on the Home Language Survey should register at the local school.
Find your local school by entering your address in the FCPS Boundary Locator (link below). School contact information is listed in the Schools Directory.
FCPS Boundary Locator
- Other Than or In Addition to English - If a language other than or in addition to English is shown on the Home Language Survey, register at the closest Student Registration Welcome Center:
* Dunn Loring Center (central Fairfax), 703-204-6740
* Lake Anne/Reston Center (northwest Fairfax), 703-668-0690 or
* South County Center ( southeast Fairfax in Alexandria), 703-742-4900
At FCPS Student Registration Welcome Centers, you can ask questions and request information about enrollment in most languages. At the centers, professionals may assess your student's English language skill and/or educational level. These assessments can provide valuable information to the local school and support your child's instructional needs.
- Special Registration Situations - Depending on circumstances (nonparent registrations, divorced or separated parents, homelessness, foster care and foreign exchange students), you will register at either the local school or a Student Registration Welcome Center. Please see Special Registration Situations. (See Home Instruction for the option for home schooling your child.)
STEP 3: Gather Documents
Parents registering their children must provide several documents including proof of residency in Fairfax County, child's birth certificate, parent's government issued identification, child's health information, and child's immunizations.
See General Registration Documents (link below) for complete information regarding necessary documentation.
Please bring the registration documents to your appointment with a registrar (see Step 5).
General Registration Documents
STEP 4: Fill Out Forms
A parent will need to fill out FCPS registration forms for each child being registered.
Registration forms can be downloaded from General Information Forms (link below). Select the Enrollment Forms Bundle option to access all the necessary forms at once. Or pick up printed forms at the closest Student Registration Welcome Center or the local school office. For local school pick up, be sure to call ahead so the forms can be ready for you when you arrive.
Because we do not offer online registration, you will need to download the forms to a computer, fill them out on the computer and print them. Or you can print the forms and fill them out by hand.
Please bring the completed registration forms to your appointment with a registrar (see Step 5).
General Registration Forms
STEP 5: Make an Appointment
The student and at least one parent must be present for the registration appointment at a school or a Student Registration Welcome Center.
Please try to arrive with your registration documents and completed registration forms.
Questions? Our registrars at local schools or at Student Registration Welcome Centers are available to assist families and students at any time during the registration process.
We look forward to partnering with you to support your child's educational journey in FCPS.
The video below offers an overview of the student registration process.
A student is expected to attend the school that serves his or her attendance area. However, student transfer information is available if a parent would like to transfer a student from a base school to another school within FCPS. Transfer requests are considered for very specific reasons as outlined in FCPS School Board Regulation 2230.
You must first be registered at a neighborhood school before submitting a request for student transfer.