Portrait of a Graduate
A goal of FCPS is to provide opportunities for students to demonstrate learning in authentic ways and support students in the development of skills that employers are seeking for the workforce. Teachers in FCPS are enhancing learning opportunities to include the Portrait of a Graduate attributes:
- Ethical and Global Citizen
- Creative and Critical Thinker
- Goal-Directed and Resilient Individual
To develop these skills, FCPS strives for all students to:
- Develop knowledge and skills that can be applied across subject areas and in real life settings.
- Utilize and grow critical thinking skills that require them to go beyond the facts.
- Engage in learning that fosters curiosity.
- Confront and make contributions to solving real-world problems.
- Demonstrate learning and skills in a variety of ways, such as projects and portfolios.
- Set goals and reflect on their progress.
The objectives and outcomes for each unit are common across FCPS and based on the Virginia Standards of Learning. The pacing by quarter and by week provides an example of how the curriculum can be organized throughout the year. Teacher teams may adjust the pacing or order of units to best meet the needs of students.