School Bus Driver Employment Opportunities
Join the Driving Force in Education
Signing Bonus Up to $2,000!FCPS is providing a signing bonus of up to $2,000 for new school bus drivers who meet eligibility requirements and complete the new driver employment criteria.
Your welcoming smile can make a difference in a student’s day!
Join us for one of our school bus driver job fairs this summer and be part of our team! We will host school bus driver job fairs from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on the following dates and locations.
- September 21 at Stonecroft Transportation Center
- September 29 at Lorton Center
- October 5 at Stonecroft Transportation Center
- October 27 at Lorton Center
- November 8 at Stonecroft Transportation Center
- November 30 at Lorton Center
- December 6 at Lorton Center
- December 14 at Stonecroft Transportation Center
- January 10 at Lorton Center
- January 26 at Stonecroft Transportation Center
- February 9 at Lorton Center
- February 21 at Stonecroft Transportation Center
- March 8 at Stonecroft Transportation Center
- March 20 at Lorton Center
- April 19 at Lorton Center
- April 25 at Stonecroft Transportation Center
- May 17 at Lorton Center
- May 23 at Stonecroft Transportation Center
- June 14 at Stonecroft Transportation Center
- June 28 at Lorton Center
No pre-event registration is needed to attend.
Come Work With Us!
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) invites qualified individuals to join our transportation team!
This is a great opportunity for stay-at-home parents to earn income with benefits (and bring your preschooler to work with you!), as well as for retirees, college students, or career-switchers.
School Bus Driver - $24.55 per hour
School Bus Attendant - $17.36 per hour
Transportation Van Driver - $18.33 per hour
Drivers are eligible for annual step increases plus market scale adjustments based upon School Board approval. The top of the scale is more than $31.00 an hour, plus benefits
Paid training program
6 paid non-working days
Excellent retirement, health and dental plans
Life and disability insurance
Infant and preschool-age children and
grandchildren may ride with you
Summer hours available
At least 19 years old
Good driving record
Pass a physical exam, drug screen and background check
Complete a five-week training program, take the CDL road test and obtain a CDL
Commercial Driver's License (CDL) - training provided
Morning shifts usually run from 6 to 9:30 a.m., and afternoon shifts run from 1:30 to 5 p.m. Full-time drivers are offered a minimum of 30 hours a week. Additional weekly hours are available.
Bus Driver Positions
Many of our drivers advance to either a Bus Driver Floater or a Bus Driver Supervisor. Many others move or return to other FCPS positions in administration, instruction, and more. Bus driving can be a good career, a good job for a season in your life, or a pathway to other opportunities with FCPS.
A floater driver's salary starts at a higher rate of pay for their experience and ability to drive a variety of buses and routes and manage different groups of student passengers. Floaters are drivers with full benefits that fill in for drivers who are on leave.