TJHSST Sophomore Application Process
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Admissions
TJHSST Admissions accepts a very limited number of students for its sophomore class (10th grade) each year. Students who wish to apply for the 2023-2024 sophomore class must submit their 9th grade high school transcript between April 3 and April 21 by 4:00 pm. While PSAT or SAT scores are optional, they are encouraged. (Scores should be in the 90th percentile or above.) Once approval is given to move forward with the application, the applicant has until May 19, 2023 at 4:00 pm to complete and submit the application. All students offered admission into TJHSST begin the first day of the new school year. There is no other window available for a student to apply or enter the school.
Students that applied for the Freshman Winter and were not offered admission may be eligible to apply during the Sophomore Round.
- The number of students who can be accepted to the sophomore class is based in part on student attrition at TJHSST. In recent years, the number of admitted sophomores has ranged between 10 to 15 students.
- The sophomore admissions process is completed in its entirety in June each year. The TJHSST Admissions Office administers all aspects of the admissions process. Selection is completed by a committee of faculty from TJ.
- Students may only apply to the Sophomore Round Class of 2026 if they meet the curricular requirements and rigor to begin the application process.
Students that do not live in Fairfax County need to contact the Admissions Office at 571-423-3770 or by email at [email protected] before you apply to make sure that applications will be allowed from your school division.
Class of 2026 Application Information
All applicants to the Sophomore Round (10th grade) of admissions at TJHSST must complete the following, once their transcript has been approved:
- Part I of the Sophomore Application requests general demographic information about the applicant.
- Part II of the Sophomore Application is a Student Information Sheet that includes a series of questions and short answer prompts as well as a personal essay. All applicants will use the TJ Admissions Online System to complete both sections.
- All sophomore admissions applicants need to submit a copy of their high school transcript. The transcript must include minimally 9th grade first semester marks for all high school courses taken or being taken at the time of application, as well as courses taken prior to 9th grade for high school credit. All applicants must be enrolled in Biology and Geometry (minimum math requirement) at the time of application.
- Please see "Important Dates for 2023-2024" for deadlines below.
- Three Teacher Recommendations
- Eligibility Documents
- Proof of residency
- PSAT/SAT scores (optional but recommended)
Sophomore Eligibility RequirementsStudents interested in applying to the sophomore round (10th grade class) of admissions must fulfill all eligibility requirements at the time of application.
Important Dates for Sophomore Round, Class of 2026
- April 3, 2023 – Sophomore Applications available once transcript and optional test scores are approved
- April 21, 2023 – PSAT/SAT (optional but recommended) and transcript deadline by 4:00 PM (Do not submit prior to April 3, 2023)
- May 5, 2023 - Applicant deadline to enter Teacher Recommendation Information
- May 19, 2023 – APPLICATION DEADLINE by 4:00 PM*
- June 30, 2023 – Final Admissions Decisions Posted No Later Than (See Sophomore Round Decisions)*
For information on final admissions decisions, please see the sophomore section of Decision Process.
*THE APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR SOPHOMORE ROUND APPLICANTS (TJHSST CLASS OF 2026) is May 19, 2023, by 4:00 PM. NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR ANY REASON.