Volunteer in FCPS
The process to volunteer in our school system
FCPS Background Check Procedures
The information below applies to those looking to Volunteer in FCPS.
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is fortunate to have individuals, groups, and organizations who contribute time and energy to students as volunteers. Because student safety is of utmost importance, FCPS requires volunteers who meet with students on a frequent and regular basis to have a background check.
FCPS covers the fees for background checks for volunteers and mentors.
Note: Mentoring in FCPS - There is a separate screening and application process for mentors. View a full description of our mentoring program and onboarding process on our MentorWorks page.
FCPS Fingerprinting Process
To start the process, FCPS administrative personnel must submit a request online through Uconnect to the Office of Talent Acquisition and Management. The process includes:
- Registering online
- Completing an online onboarding process
- Scheduling a fingerprinting/badge appointment (walk-ins are not accepted)
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) Background Check (Regulation 4119)
- FCPS regulations preclude anyone with a felony conviction from volunteering in the schools.
- Misdemeanor charges are evaluated based on the nature of the offense, the age of the person at the time of the offense, and the amount of time between the date of the offense and the date of application.
- Active-duty (sworn) law enforcement personnel are exempt from the background check.
- Fairfax County Public Schools is following CDC and health official guidelines to minimize risk to our visitors and employees.
- HR Client Services staff may be wearing a face covering and gloves during your visit and are taking extra measures to sanitize and clean surfaces between use.
- During your visit, you will have access to restrooms for hand washing. Hand sanitizer is also available at the check-in desk.
- At this time, masks and social distancing are encouraged, but optional for all visitors while visiting the Department of Human Resources.
- NOTE: You will be required to remove your mask briefly (if wearing one) so that your picture can be taken.
For more information on face-covering requirements, please visit the CDC website.
Gatehouse Administration Center
Department of Human Resources, Welcome Center (1st floor lobby)
8115 Gatehouse Road
Falls Church, VA 22042
Frequently Asked Questions
- Please park in a designated visitor parking space in front of the building or anywhere in the underground parking garage. The parking garage is free and is accessible from Gatehouse Road.
- Once parked, visit the Welcome Desk on the first floor and tell them you are there for fingerprinting.
- Yes, parking at the FCPS Gatehouse Center is free, below the building.
- At the time of your fingerprinting, you’ll be asked to complete some additional forms. Be careful and honest when completing all forms. If you have anything on your personal record, it is necessary to include it in the agreement. An incomplete form may disqualify you from volunteering in FCPS.
- A prior felony offense of any kind will disqualify you from volunteering for FCPS.
- Volunteer badges expire each school year on June 30 and must be renewed annually.
- It is the school’s responsibility to renew badges for returning volunteers.
- School contacts are to communicate with volunteers or groups of volunteers and create a list of returning volunteers. After receiving a list of returning volunteers, the school contact shall:
- Ensure that the “legal name” submitted matches the one on the existing badge
- Send the list of returning volunteers to [email protected]
- Receive the badges from FCPS Human Resources and distribute the badges to the returning volunteers.
If a badge lapses for one full school year, the volunteer will have to be fingerprinted again before they can enter a school as a volunteer.