Student Rights and Responsibilities Introduction
A Guide for Families
We have created the Student Rights & Responsibilities, A Guide for Families to assist you in your efforts to help your child understand school rules and expectations. These rules apply during school, at school-sponsored activities, and include interactions between students as they travel to and from school. Students will receive a shortened version that is appropriate for their age, and teachers will review the rules with them during the first weeks of school. We encourage you to discuss these expectations with your child. For your convenience, the entire booklet, including links to referenced regulations, can be found online at www.fcps.edu/srr.
A complete copy of the regulation regarding discipline is included in the Appendix. If you have questions about any of the information, please do not hesitate to talk with your child’s teacher or principal.
Your child’s behavior impacts academic success and school safety. Please read this guide and discuss it with your child.
Parents are essential partners in helping their children learn how to exhibit self-control and respect, make ethical choices, and be accountable for their actions.
they existed at publication and which are subject to change without notice. The Board of Education and Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) reserve the right to enforce changes immediately. In any dispute, the official regulation in effect at the time of an incident will govern and will supersede the language in this guide.
The current regulations and policies can be found at https://www.fcps.edu/policies-and-regulations.
Fairfax County Public Schools inspires and empowers students to meet high academic standards, lead ethical lives, and be responsible and innovative global citizens.
- Each student is entitled to an excellent education that meets his or her individual needs.
- Dynamic and supportive partnerships among students, parents, educators, and the community are critical to meet student needs and provide enriching experiences.
- Effective educators are essential to student success.
- Families play a fundamental role in their children’s education.
- High expectations inspire high performance.
- Everyone thrives in a vibrant, healthful, safe, enriching, and respectful environment.
- Our diversity is a strength that creates resilient, open, and innovative global citizens.
- Quality early childhood education is crucial to school readiness and future success.
- Literacy is an essential life skill, and reading proficiency by third grade is critical for the academic success of all students.
- A well-rounded education enables students to lead productive, fulfilling, creative, and culturally rich lives.
- An educated citizenry enhances everyone’s quality of life, improves our economy, and sustains our system of self-governance.
- A successful education system develops students who are effective communicators; collaborators; creative critical thinkers; global and ethical citizens; and goal-directed, resilient learners.