Office of Chief Financial Officer
The mission of the Office of the Chief Financial Officer is to protect and maintain the fiscal integrity of FCPS and ensure resources are effectively directed to the classroom.
The office plays an active role in fulfilling FCPS’ mission by:
- Providing accurate, timely, relevant financial information and guidance to the School Board and stakeholders;
- Demonstrating prudent stewardship of financial resources with integrity and high ethical standards;
- Streamlining business processes to maximize financial efficiencies; and
- Promoting school and community wellness and students’ readiness to learn.
Office objectives are accomplished by:
- Communicating accurate and timely financial information to effectively meet the School Board’s goals and stakeholders’ expectations.
- Maximizing resource utilization by efficiently delivering services and managing financial activities in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Enhancing business processes and initiatives to improve community wellness, support student achievement, and ensure financial integrity.
The Chief Financial Officer oversees Financial Services sections to include the Offices of Benefit Services, Budget Services, Comptroller’s Office, Payroll Management and Procurement Services as discussed below:
Office of Benefit Services
The Office of Benefit Services administers the division’s benefit programs in a fair and equitable manner that complies with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations. The office actively manages all employee insurance and financial programs, which include medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts; and 403(b) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement savings programs.
- Learn more about benefit services for prospective employees.
- Learn more about benefit services for current employees.
- Learn more about benefit services for retirees.
- Learn more about benefit services for former employees.
Office of Budget Services
The Office of Budget Services provides clear, accurate, timely, and relevant financial information and analysis to assist the School Board, Leadership Team, and other stakeholders in sound decision-making. Budget Services provides the framework for all financial decision- making through the budget process; ensures that the budget is balanced and meets divisionwide needs; meets the Superintendent’s and School Board’s requirements; reflects the most accurate up-to-date information available; and presents this information to the School Board, Board of Supervisors, and community groups in a timely and transparent manner.
- View Budget Documents
- Learn about the Quarterly Reviews
- Read the Budget Question Responses
- View the Washington Area Boards of Education (WABE) Guide
Office of the Comptroller
The mission of the Office of the Comptroller is to ensure the integrity of FCPS’ financial data; supply accurate and timely financial information to the School Board, FCPS management, and stakeholders; provide a system of effective and efficient financial processes; and monitor and reduce financial risk to FCPS. This mission is accomplished by ensuring financial records are maintained in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and in compliance with federal, state and local regulations; establishing effective internal controls; continuously evaluating FCPS’ financial and business management practices; recommending and implementing business process improvements; conducting and coordinating compliance reviews; and performing risk assessments. In addition the office is responsible for providing training and support to all FCPS staff on financial systems and procedures.
- Learn about Financial Reporting and Compliance
- Read about Financial Outreach and Support
- Find out more about Payment of Countywide Obligations
- Learn about Risk Management
Office of Payroll Management
The mission of the Office of Payroll Management is to ensure the accurate and timely payment of wages to Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) employees and the payment of all payroll-related obligations. The office is responsible for all wage payments and deductions for all employees; manages pay and leave-related data, tax-related data, direct deposit information, and time and attendance data from across all work locations with FCPS; and processes payments to all vendors providing benefits or services on behalf of FCPS employees through payroll deductions.
- Learn about W-2 Tax Forms
- Find out how to Change Payroll Information
- Learn about Receiving Pay During Non-Contract Months
- Learn about Direct Pay for Insurance
- Learn about Payroll Deductions
Office of Procurement Services
The Office of Procurement Services (OPS) serves as the central procurement authority for FCPS and is responsible for direct purchasing and contracting services as well as warehousing and inventory management. Our mission is to lead and manage suppliers and supplier relations for goods and services in support of the organization’s overall mission and vision.