Activities and Enrichment
Student activities programs are an integral part of the total elementary, middle, and high school education program. Fairfax County Public Schools stresses the importance of providing a well-balanced activities program to augment the learning activities in the classroom. The Activities programs provide opportunities for students in a variety of areas including student government, student publications, and special interest groups. Most of the activities require only an interest, some a try-out, others a special skill, but there is something for everyone!
- At the elementary level, FCPS provides opportunities for students as safety patrols, as well as in student government.
- At the middle school level, FCPS provides for involvement in performing groups, student government, newspaper, yearbook, drama, general interest clubs, and the literary magazine.
- At the high school level, FCPS offers a wealth of opportunities for student growth and enrichment through student government, performing groups, publications, honor societies, and special interest clubs.
Benefits of Being Involved
Participation in student activities is truly a learning experience and an enhancement of the regular school day. National studies and research indicate that:
- Participation in activities and athletics promotes citizenship.
- Students involved in activities have higher grade point averages than nonparticipants.
- Students involved in activities have better attendance records than nonparticipants.
- Participation in school activities is one of the most accurate predictors of success after college.
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is committed to a learning and working environment free from all forms of discrimination. No person shall on the basis of, of race, sex, color, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, pregnancy status, childbirth or related medical conditions, marital status, veteran status, and disability be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under, any education program or activity, as required by law. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies as they relate to student activities and athletics: Bill Curran, Director Activities and Athletics Fairfax County Public Schools [email protected]