Instructional Licensure

Applying, renewing, changing a licensure endorsement, or requesting an additional salary request can be done through our Instructional Licensure office.

The Office of Licensure is designed to help new instructional employees secure everything needed to acquire an instructional license in Virginia. It also helps current employees with the recertification process and assists currently licensed employees with additional salary requests.

Licensed positions include teachers, librarians, principals, assistant principals, counselors, psychologists, social workers, occupational, physical, music, and art therapists, and school-based technology specialists.

Please familiarize yourself with and adhere to these Important FCPS Instructional Licensure Deadlines.


Office of Instructional Licensure

Gatehouse Administration Center
8115 Gatehouse Road, suite 1100
Falls Church, VA 22042

Initial Virginia Licensure

FCPS employees in licensed-positions must hold and maintain a valid license with appropriate endorsement(s) issued by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), which should be reflected on the VDOE’s public license query. Licensed-positions include teachers, librarians, principals, assistant principals, counselors, psychologists, social workers, occupational/physical/music/art therapists, and school-based technology specialists.

Visit the following VDOE webpages to access:

  • Information regarding the Licensure Application process and requirements is available on the VDOE website.

FCPS Licensure Assistants

Each Instructional employee is assigned a licensure assistant to help answer any and all questions about their instructional license. Licensure assistants are based on an employee's last name and their contact information can be found on our Employee Hub

Non-FCPS employees should visit the VDOE's public licensure website for licensure information. 


iteach provides an alternative route to licensure in the state of Virginia. iteach is the only non-institution of higher education accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).

Additional Salary Requests

FCPS offers the opportunity for additional salary to newly hired and current teacher-scale employees. Employees who meet one of the following five available salary credit adjustments listed below may submit a salary request application.

5-year Virginia Professional Licensure Renewal

FCPS employees can visit the Employee Hub for information and guidance on completing the 5-year professional license renewal process.

Non-FCPS employees should visit the VDOE's public licensure website to access renewal information. 

Adding, Changing, or Removing an Instructional Licensure Endorsement(s)

Adding/Changing an Endorsement

Employees must send a signed and dated letter requesting an endorsement be added or changed to the Office of Licensure. Appropriate supporting documentation (such as official transcripts, assessment score sheets, college verification forms, etc.) must accompany the letter. Your licensure assistant (Employee Hub)can be contacted for further details. 

Removing an Endorsement

Employees must submit a signed and dated letter to the Office of Licensure requesting an endorsement be removed from their license. Endorsements required for a current teaching assignment cannot be removed from a license.

Obtaining Your Virginia Instructional Licensure

If you hold an out of state license or have completed a teacher certification program, initiate your initial Virginia licensure application process directly with VDOE.
Obtaining Your Virginia Instructional Licensure

Learn About Becoming a Teacher in Virginia

This is for individuals interested in Virginia licensure who do not hold a current out of state license or who have not completed a teacher certification program.
Learn About Becoming a Teacher in Virginia

Employees, Applicants, Retirees, and Non-FCPS Employees

Submit your questions, concerns, or upload forms and other documents through the FCPS StaffConnect portal. Human Resources representatives are also available for assistance Monday – Friday (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) by calling 571-423-3000 or 1-800-831-4331.