TJHSST Sophomore Eligibility
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Admissions
All sophomore applicants must, at the time of application, live with a parent or legal guardian who resides full time in, and meets the residency requirements of, a school division that participates in TJHSST. (FCPS Regulation 3355.13) The applicant and the parent/legal guardian, therefore, must actually reside (be present) in the participating school division at the time of application (which includes the verification of the transcript and test scores).
The school divisions currently participating in TJHSST are: Fairfax, Arlington, Loudoun and Prince William Counties and the City of Falls Church.
If one family member is living here, but other family members including the potential applicant are living elsewhere, the student must reside in one of the jurisdictions and be enrolled in school here no later than April 24, 2020 (the deadline for submission of the transcript and test scores), in order to to apply to TJHSST for the 2020-2021 school year.
A very limited exception to the residency requirement is provided only for active-duty military with current PCS (not separation) orders. Your orders must show that you are ordered to report to this area after May 22, 2020, and prior to the first day of school for 2020-2021. Orders also must show family members who are moving with you.
Proof of Residency
If you are not currently enrolled in a public middle or high school in a school district that participates in TJHSST at the time of application, proof of residency is required.
When submitting an application, please upload one document from each of the three following groups: (1) lease, deed or mortgage statement; (2) gas, water or electric bill; and (3) driver's license or bank statement. Each document must contain the name of the primary parent as well as the address listed within the application.
Contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information regarding required proof of residency requirements.
- Arlington County
- Fairfax County (includes Fairfax City)
- Falls Church City
- Loudoun County
- Prince William County
- All sophomore round applicants must submit (no sooner than April 1, 2020, and no later than April 24, 2020) a copy of your high school transcript, containing all courses taken prior to 9th grade for high school credit, along with your official PSAT/SAT scores before you are approved to begin an application. Test scores should be in the upper 90th percentile in order to be competitive for admission consideration (with a minimum requirement of the 90th percentile on each component to apply). If you have any questions, please email the Admissions Office at email@example.com.
Applicants to the sophomore class must have completed the following graduation credits by the end of the 2019-2020 academic year:
If your school does not offer the exact courses listed above, you must submit with your application documentation from your prior school (such as copies of the curriculum, course syllabus, etc.) that describes in detail each course and the material covered.
* If you have not taken Biology in ninth grade, you may still apply to TJHSST if you submit, with your application, your enrollment verification in Biology, with laboratory (online courses must be taken for high school credit and pre-approved by the Admissions Office). The course must be completed prior to the start of school in 2020 without exception. An offer of admission is conditional to the completion of Biology for high school credit and students not fulfilling this requirement will have the offer withdrawn.
**If you have taken Algebra 2/Trigonometry, but not Geometry, you may apply to TJHSST. You will be required to take Geometry in grade 10 if you are admitted to TJHSST.
If you have taken Algebra 2, but not Algebra 2/Trigonometry, you may apply to TJHSST. If admitted, you will be placed in the appropriate math course to address the Trigonometry component.
- English – 1 credit
- Algebra 1 – 1 credit
- Biology – 1 credit*
- Geometry – 1 credit**
- Health/PE – 1 credit
- World Languages – 1 credit
- Elective – 1 credit
All applicants to the sophomore class of TJHSST must take either the PSAT or the SAT.
- Copies of your official PSAT or SAT score reports must be submitted along with your high school transcript directly to the TJHSST Admissions Office by April 24, 2020, before you can begin an application. Make sure that the test scores clearly show your name. Test scores should be in the upper 90th percentile in order to be competitive for admission consideration.
We do not accept or consider ACT, ASPIRE, or any other standardized tests at this time as a substitution for the PSAT or SAT.
- The PSAT may be requested through local schools. Contact your current school’s student services/guidance office for information about test date and registration for that testing. Make sure that you will receive an official score report (you will need to send a copy of the report you receive with your application).
- If your school does not offer the PSAT and you cannot make arrangements to take it elsewhere, you must take the SAT.
The College Board administers the SAT. Go to www.collegeboard.org to obtain information about the SAT and to register for that test. Your current school’s student services/guidance office can assist you with this process.
The TJHSST Admissions Office will not receive scores sent to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology through SAT Registration.
If you have any questions, please email the Admissions Office.
Attendance Cap Requirements
A student may only apply to sophomore round if that the student is applying from a school division that has not exceeded its attendance cap for the grade for which the student is applying. If you do not live in Fairfax County, you should contact the Admissions Office at 571-423-3770 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org before you apply to make sure that applications will be allowed from your school division.