TJHSST Sophomore Eligibility
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Admissions
All sophomore applicants must, at the time of application, live with a parent or legal guardian who resides full time in, and meets the residency requirements of, a school division that participates in TJHSST. (FCPS Regulation 3355.12) The applicant and the parent/legal guardian, therefore, must actually reside (be present) in the participating school division at the time of application.
The school divisions currently participating in TJHSST are:
If one family member is living here, but other family members including the potential applicant are living elsewhere and will be moving to join the resident family member after May 25, 2018, the student is not eligible to apply to TJHSST for the 2018-2019 school year.
A very limited exception to the residency requirement is provided only for active-duty military with current orders. Your orders must show that you are ordered to report to this area after May 25, 2018, and prior to the first day of school for 2018-2019. Orders also must show family members who are moving with you.
Proof of Residency
If you are not currently enrolled in a public middle or high school in a school district that participates in TJHSST at the time of application, proof of residency is required.
When submitting an application, please upload one document from each of the three following groups: (1) lease, deed or mortgage statement; (2) gas, water or electric bill; and (3) driver's license or bank statement. Each document must contain the name of the primary parent as well as the address listed within the application.
Contact the Admissions Office at email@example.com for additional information regarding required proof of residency requirements.
- Arlington County
- Fairfax County (includes Fairfax City)
- Falls Church City
- Loudoun County
- Prince William County
- All sophomore round applicants must submit (no sooner than April 2, 2018, and no later than April 27, 2018) a copy of your high school transcript, containing all courses taken prior to 9th grade for high school credit, along with your official PSAT/SAT scores before you are approved to begin an application. If you have any questions, please email the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants to the sophomore class must have completed the following graduation credits by the end of the 2017-2018 academic year:
If your school does not offer the exact courses listed above, you must submit with your application documentation from your prior school (such as copies of the curriculum, course syllabus, etc.) that describes in detail each course and the material covered.
* If you have not taken Biology in ninth grade, you may still apply to TJHSST if you submit with your application your intentions to enroll in Biology, with laboratory (online courses must be taken for high school credit and pre-approved by the Admissions Office), during the summer of 2016. All admissions decisions are contingent upon completion of Biology for high school credit before the Sophomore year.
**If you have taken Algebra 2/Trigonometry, but not Geometry, you may apply to TJHSST. You will be required to take Geometry in grade 10 if you are admitted to TJHSST.
If you have taken Algebra 2, but not Algebra 2/Trigonometry, you may apply to TJHSST. If admitted, you will be placed in the appropriate math course to address the Trigonometry component.
- English – 1 credit
- Algebra 1 – 1 credit
- Biology – 1 credit*
- Geometry – 1 credit**
- Health/PE – 1 credit
- World Languages – 1 credit
- Elective – 1 credit
All applicants to the sophomore class of TJHSST must take either the PSAT or the SAT. New this school year, College Board will offer new versions of both exams. The Admissions Office will accept both the old and new versions of either test, which includes the following:
- Copies of your official PSAT or SAT score reports must be submitted along with your high school transcript directly to the TJHSST Admissions Office by April 27, 2018, before you can begin an application. Make sure that the test scores clearly show your name.
We do not accept or consider ACT, ASPIRE, or any other standardized tests at this time as a substitution for the PSAT or SAT.
- The PSAT is offered each year through local schools. Contact your current school’s student services/guidance office for information about test date and registration for that testing. Make sure that you will receive an official score report (you will need to send a copy of the report you receive with your application).
- If your school does not offer the PSAT and you cannot make arrangements to take it elsewhere, you must take the SAT.
The College Board administers the SAT. Go to www.collegeboard.org to obtain information about the SAT and to register for that test. Your current school’s student services/guidance office can assist you with this process.
The TJHSST Admissions Office will not receive scores sent to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology through SAT Registration.
If you have any questions, please email the Admissions Office.
Attendance Cap Requirements
A student may only apply to sophomore round if that the student is applying from a school division that has not exceeded its attendance cap for the grade for which the student is applying. If you do not live in Fairfax County, you should contact the Admissions Office at 571-423-3770 or by email at email@example.com before you apply to make sure that applications will be allowed from your school division.