Purpose (Secondary Grading and Reporting)
The overarching goals that will be met through the implementation of the expected FCPS grading and reporting practices.
The purpose of the Secondary Guidelines for Grading and Reporting is to establish grading and reporting practices at the middle and high school levels in order to reach the following goals:
- Ensure that grades are based on student achievement, knowledge, and skill proficiency demonstrated in the classroom and are separated from work habits.
- Promote consistency in grading across teams, departments, and schools.
- Promote ongoing formative feedback to students.
- Promote practices that encourage continuous engagement in learning.
- Provide parents and students ongoing, credible, and useful feedback that conveys the expectations and achievement of identified standards of knowledge included in the curriculum.
- Ensure alignment of curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
Any school or school team wanting to deviate from the existing guidelines, must seek approval from the Chief Academic Officer.