Annual Notice of Survey, Records, Curriculum, Privacy, and Related Rights and Opt-Out Forms
2023-24 Opt-Out Information and Booklets
This web page is being translated through "machine translation" using Google Translate. [Disclaimer]
The Fairfax County School Board is committed to protecting student and family privacy (see Policy 1445) and wants all parents to be aware of their rights and the ways that information is treated in relation to::
- Parents’ rights to inspect, and to consent or opt out, before their child participates in certain surveys administered to students.
- Parents’ rights to inspect instructional materials used as part of the educational curriculum.
- FCPS’ maintenance, retention, and disclosure rules regarding student scholastic records including parents and eligible students’ rights to inspect such records, to request amendment to such records and to opt out of disclosure of directory information about the student.
- FCPS’ disclosure of student information for graduation photographs or other commercial purposes and the right of parents and eligible students to opt out of this disclosure.
- FCPS’ disclosure of secondary school students’ names, addresses, and telephone numbers to military recruiters and the right of parents and students to opt out of this disclosure.
- Parents’ right to opt out of any physical examination of their child not required by state law.
- The FCPS school counseling program and parents’ right to opt out their child from participation in academic, career, and/or social or emotional counseling.
- Student participation in the Library Equity Access Pass Project, and the rights of parents to refuse participation in the program.
- Parents’ rights to opt out of their child’s access to Tutor.com.
- Student participation in the Social and Emotional Learning Screener and the rights of parents to opt out of the Screener.
- The process by which parents and students may file complaints if they believe their rights as referenced above have been violated.
In its Annual Notice of Survey, Records, Curriculum, Privacy, and Related Rights and Opt-Out Forms (Annual Notice), FCPS provides explanations of the rights listed above as well as forms that may be used to exercise opt-out choices. Two versions of the Annual Notice are available—a grades K-8 version and a grades 9-12 version. Parents with children at different grade levels should read each applicable version of the Annual Notice because the notices and opt-out rights vary depending on the student’s grade level.
- Elementary and Middle School (grades K-8).
- High School (grades 9-12).
Parents may also request a paper copy from the principal’s office at their child’s school. If you wish to opt your child out of any of the activities mentioned above, you must complete and return the appropriate forms to your child’s school.
Translations of the forms below will be posted when they become available.
Complete K-8 Annual Notice of Survey, Records, Curriculum, Privacy, and Related Rights and Opt-Out Forms booklets.
Complete 9-12 Annual Notice of Survey, Records, Curriculum, Privacy, and Related Rights and Opt-Out Forms booklets.
One page flyer that alerts parents of the Annual Notice of Survey, Records, Curriculum, Privacy, and Related Rights and Opt-Out Forms.