Annual Notice of Survey, Records, Curriculum, Privacy, and Related Rights and Opt-Out Forms
2020-21 Opt-Out Information and Booklets
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) wants all parents to understand its policies regarding:
- Parents’ rights to inspect, and to consent or opt out, before their child participates in certain surveys administered to students.
- Parents’ rights to inspect instructional materials used as part of the educational curriculum.
- FCPS’ maintenance, retention, and disclosure rules regarding student scholastic records including parents and eligible students’ rights to inspect such records, to request amendment to such records and to opt out of disclosure of directory information about the student.
- FCPS’ disclosure of student information for graduation photographs or other commercial purposes and the right of parents and eligible students to opt out of this disclosure.
- FCPS’ disclosure of secondary school students’ names, addresses, and telephone numbers to military recruiters and the right of parents and students to opt out of this disclosure.
- Parents’ right to opt out of any physical examination of their child not required by state law.
- The FCPS school counseling program and parents’ right to opt out their child from participation in academic, career, and social or emotional counseling.
- The process by which parents and students may file complaints if they believe their rights as referenced above have been violated.
In its Annual Notice of Survey, Records, Curriculum, Privacy, and Related Rights and Opt-Out Forms (Annual Notice), FCPS provides explanations of the rights listed above as well as forms that may be used to exercise opt-out choices. Two versions of the Annual Notice are available—a grades K-8 version and a grades 9-12 version. Parents with children at different grade levels should read each applicable version of the Annual Notice because the notices and opt-out rights vary depending on the student’s grade level.
- Elementary and Middle School (grades K-8).
- High School (grades 9-12).
Parents may also request a paper copy from the principal’s office at their child’s school. If you wish to opt your child out of any of the activities mentioned above, you must complete and return the appropriate forms to your child’s school.
Please Note: The translated versions of the complete opt-out booklets will be posted below as soon as they are available.
2020-21 K-8 Annual Notice of Survey, Records, Curriculum, Privacy, and Related Rights and Opt-Out Forms
English version of the complete 2020-21 K-8 opt-out booklet.
2020-21 9-12 Annual Notice of Survey, Records, Curriculum, Privacy, and Related Rights and Opt-Out Forms
English version of the complete 2019-20 9-12 opt-out booklet.