Student Rights and Responsibilities Steps to Resolve Concerns

Most problems can be resolved satisfactorily by discussing the matter with the teacher, counselor, or principal.

Any concerns about actions or decisions of a teacher or other school personnel should first be discussed with the school principal.

Procedures for how parents can address concerns when they are not satisfied with the principal’s response vary with the type of concern:

  • Discipline: Please refer to Appendix D for information on how to appeal a decision to suspend, and page 47 of Regulation 2601.33P for information on how to petition the School Board to alter a decision to reassign a student to an alternative program. See regulation 2611 for additional information.
  • Complaints regarding actions of teachers or other school personnel; student records; or decisions regarding right of expression, right to display or distribute literature: These complaints should be directed to the appropriate regional assistant superintendent. Phone numbers can be found on the Important Contact Information page.
  • Title IX and discrimination complaints: Please contact the Title IX coordinator at 571-423-3070.
  • Complaints about procedures, programs, or services for students with disabilities should be directed to the coordinator of the Office of Due Process and Eligibility at 571-423-4470.

The Student Rights and Responsibilities document explains expectations for student behavior and adult responses to enhance school safety and to create a fair, equitable and supportive school environment.