Beliefs, Mission, and Vision
Students come first in Fairfax County Public Schools.
- Each student is entitled to an excellent education that meets their individual needs.
- Dynamic and supportive partnerships among students, parents, educators, and the community are critical to meet student needs and provide enriching experiences.
- Effective educators are essential to student success.
- Families play a fundamental role in their children’s education.
- High expectations inspire high performance.
- Everyone thrives in a vibrant, healthful, safe, enriching, and respectful environment.
- Our diversity is a strength that creates resilient, open, and innovative global citizens.
- Quality early childhood education is crucial to school readiness and future success.
- Literacy is an essential life skill, and reading proficiency by third grade is critical for the academic success of all students.
- A well-rounded education enables students to lead productive, fulfilling, creative, and culturally rich lives.
- An educated citizenry enhances everyone’s quality of life, improves our economy, and sustains our system of self-governance.
- A successful education system develops students who are effective communicators; collaborators; creative critical thinkers; global and ethical citizens; and goal-directed, resilient learners.
Fairfax County Public Schools inspires and empowers students to meet high academic standards, lead healthy, ethical lives, and be responsible and innovative global citizens.
Looking to the Future
FCPS prepares all students for the world of the future by giving them a broad spectrum of opportunities to prepare for education and employment beyond high school. All graduates are productive and responsible members of society, capable of competing in the global economy and motivated to pursue learning throughout their lifetimes.
Commitment to Opportunity
FCPS values its diversity and acknowledges that all people contribute to the well-being of the community. FCPS provides opportunities for all its students and employees to grow educationally, personally, and professionally.
Fairfax County embraces its schools. Businesses and community members generously volunteer their time and resources to help students. Schools are integrated into the fabric of the community, and residents take pride in their schools. The success of FCPS draws businesses to Fairfax County. Citizens support the financial and capital needs of the school system.
Fairfax County students achieve at high levels in all core areas and across a broad spectrum of pursuits. FCPS values a well-rounded education that goes beyond basics and encompasses the arts, technology, communication, and critical thinking skills in preparation for the work of the world. FCPS provides a breadth and depth of opportunities to allow all students to stretch their capabilities and pursue their passions.
FCPS is accountable for the academic achievement of all students. FCPS measures academic progress to ensure that all students, regardless of race, poverty, language, or disability, will graduate with the knowledge and skills necessary for college or employment. FCPS spends money wisely. FCPS directs funds to the classroom and finds ways to improve performance across the spectrum of academic programs and business processes.