Look to the Future Events
Sunday, October 15 to Tuesday, October 17, 2023
Date: Sunday, October 15, 2023
Time: 4 to 7 p.m.
Location: Eagle Bank Arena at George Mason University
4500 Patriot Cir, Fairfax, VA 22030
The College Fair is designed to connect high school students with opportunities in higher education. It is one of the largest College Fairs in the region. It features 200 colleges and universities from around the nation as well as representatives from the U.S. Service Academies. Each year the College Fair draws thousands of students and their families.
A list of Colleges and Universities attending the College Fair will be provided in September.
After registering, students receive a barcode. This barcode allows college representatives to retrieve student information electronically. Barcodes can be scanned from mobile devices.
College Fair Tips
- Register for the FCPS College Fair and get your digital barcode.
- This unique barcode allows the college representatives to receive your information electronically.
- Barcodes can be scanned from mobile devices.
- Take time to think about what you're looking for with your college experience. Naviance is a great tool to help you begin your search!
- Do you want to attend a small, medium, or large school?
- Do you prefer an urban, suburban, or rural campus setting?
- Do the schools you want to visit at the fair offer your desired major?
- Are you wanting to attend a public or private university?
- Create a list of schools you want to visit at the fair and the questions you want to ask the representatives.
- What do you want to know about the school?
- Do they offer the programs you are interested in?
- What is the student experience like?
- Bring your barcode.
- It can be on your mobile device or printed on a piece of paper for college representatives to scan.
- Plan to take notes about the schools you visit in a notebook or on your mobile device.
- Stop by the tables of the schools on the list you created and speak to the representatives. Keep an open mind and check out schools that you're not familiar with - they may be a great fit!
- Be confident and introduce yourselves to the college representatives. While you do not need to dress formal, make sure your outfit reflects the image you would like to put forth.
- After the fair, go back through your notes and look at any information you received as soon as you can.
- Talk about your experience with a trusted adult.
- Ask yourself the following questions:
- Which colleges stood out to you and why?
- Which colleges can you cross off your list?
- Which colleges would you like to learn more about, or perhaps visit?
- Use the information you learned to narrow your college list. Keep researching your remaining schools, and if feasible, schedule a campus visit.
- For the schools you are still interested in, send the college representatives you spoke with an email.
- Keep it short, polite, and professional.
- Let them know that you’re interested in their school and ask follow-up questions.
- Remember that your School Counselor and College & Career Specialist are great resources for questions about the college application process.
Virtual Postsecondary Nights
Dates: Monday, October 16, 2023, and Tuesday, October 17, 2023
Times: Sessions are at 5, 6, and 7 p.m.
A two-night virtual event featuring live sessions each night!
Join us and learn how to be better prepared for the next chapter of your educational journey.
Prior registration is not required. All students and their families are welcome to participate in one or all of the virtual sessions. The virtual session links will be published one week prior to the start date.