Google Workspace Information for Students and Parents
Learn basic information about how students access Google Workspace for Education, take their files when they leave FCPS and more.
How To Access Google Workspace
What do I need?
Chrome is the preferred browser for Google Workspace for Education. Learn more about other supported browsers.
How do I login?
- Open the Chrome Browser on your computer
- Go to www.fcps.edu and click on the Google Workspace link at the top of the page.
- Enter your student ID number and click Next
- Example: email@example.com
- Example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter your password and click Next
- Click on the waffle in the upper right corner to access the Google Workspace Tool you want to use.
Your Google Workspace password is your network password for most of your online systems. If you need to change your password, do not change it in Google Workspace. That will not change your network password in the system. To reset both your FCPS network and Google Workspace passwords, please use the Self-Service Account Recovery application.
Unlike FCPS 24-7 Learning, Google Workspace is not designed to provide separate parent accounts. To monitor a child’s activity in Google Workspace, parents can have their child login and show what they are working on within the Google Workspace environment.
The Google Family Link app lets parents set digital ground rules to help guide their children as they learn online. FCPS Google Workspace accounts can be added to Family Link, however, FCPS cannot provide support for Family Link. For more information, go to the Google Support Site.
Accessing FCPS Google Workspace email on Mobile Devices
FCPS Google Workspace email can only be accessed through the Gmail app. FCPS Google Workspace email will not work with the device’s native app.
- Download the Gmail app (Android | iOS) (Access through third party mail apps is not supported).
- Log in with your FCPS Google Workspace account information.
If you need help, see your teacher or search Google's Help Center.
Your FCPS Google Workspace account is automatically disabled after your last full day of school, or in August for graduating seniors or students leaving FCPS. Your Google Workspace account and all data associated with it will become inaccessible in August. Therefore, it is important that you download all of your data from Drive before you leave FCPS.
If you are graduating from or transferring out of FCPS, you can download your data from Google by:
- Log in to your FCPS Google account.
- Select all of your files and folders in your drive
- Press Ctrl + A on a PC.
- Press ⌘ (Command) + A on a Mac.
- Near the upper right hand corner of the screen, you will see three vertical dots (⁝). Click on the three dots and then click on Download.
- Google will then create a ZIP (compressed) file of all of your files and folders. This may take a while if you have a lot of files. In the bottom right hand corner of your screen, you will see a pop-up that says Preparing download.
- Once your files have been successfully zipped, the pop-up will say Download ready and your browser should automatically begin downloading the ZIP file to your computer.
Note: Your Google files (documents, presentations and spreadsheets) will be downloaded in the Microsoft Office format (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
Things to Keep in Mind When Using FCPS Google Workspace for Education
- Remember that Google Workspace is a school environment. Regardless of whether you are in a school building or not, if you are in Google Workspace, you are responsible for following all FCPS guidelines as described in the Students Rights & Responsibilities Handbook and the FCPS Acceptable Use Policy.
- Google Workspace accounts should not be used to log in to other applications unless directed to do so by a teacher. Users can see applications linked to their Google Workspace account by following the steps below:
- Never share your Google Workspace password.
- Report any inappropriate use to a faculty or staff member at your school. All reports are investigated by school personnel.
- Google Workspace accounts continue to be available over the summer. Google Workspace files remain available from year to year.
- Google Workspace student tools include Docs, Sheets, Slides, Mail, Draw, Calendar, Contacts, Forms, Keep, Tasks, and Sites.