Career and Technical Education (CTE) Summer Academy
Students currently in grades 8-11 are eligible to register for CTE Summer Academy to explore career pathways.
Career and Technical Education (CTE) Summer Academy gives students:
- The opportunity to explore career pathways and post-high school options.
- A better understanding of careers that align with their strengths and interests.
- The chance to expand on career exploration lessons and activities that are provided during the school year.
Students design their experience based on 5 career fields listed below. Classes change weekly.
Students in grades 8-11 (during the 2019-20 school year) are eligible for CTE Summer Academy. Students currently in grades 2-7 may participate in Tech Adventure Camp.
All students are welcome:
- FCPS students.
- Students enrolled in private schools.
- Students who are home schooled.
- Non-Fairfax County residents.
Dates and Times
- Week 1: July 20-24, 2020
- Week 2: July 27-31, 2020
8:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Fairfax High School
- Learn more about career fields by completing hands-on projects and activities related to real-world job tasks.
- Make connections between FCPS course offerings and their desired career field.
- Students will pick their pathway for a one-week focus. Students have the choice between:
- Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources/Health Sciences (both weeks)
- Arts, Communications, and Info. Systems (both weeks)
- Business, Management, and Administration (week one)
- Engineering, Manufacturing, and Technology (both weeks)
- Human Services (week two)
FCPS students may wish to choose a career field based on the Career Cluster Finder activity completed in Naviance.
Learn more about Career Clusters.
*Please note, topics do not change. Students registering for both weeks should select different career fields.
FCPS Food Services provides lunch for $3.50 or students may bring a lunch from home. FCPS students can use their school accounts or pay with cash. Non-FCPS students can pay with cash.
Starting mid-June (specific date TBD), view the lunch menu by school location. Vending machines are available.
Follow us on Twitter for updates and announcements.
There is bus transportation from select FCPS high schools and middle schools outside of the Fairfax High School pyramid. Transportation to and from these schools is the responsibility of the parent or guardian. Transportation information will be communicated to families prior to the start of the program.
Students select classes on a first come first serve basis through the registration process. They will choose a first and second choice. If the first class is full then students can ask to be wait listed for their first choice should another section of the course open up.
Registration will be open from February 3 to June 21, 2020.
Non-FCPS students must provide a copy of the following documents which can be emailed to SummerDocs@fcps.edu or mailed to:
FCPS-ACE, Department C
6815 Edsall Rd,
Springfield, VA 22151
- Birth certificate.
- Medical evidence of immunization.
- The most recent 2019-20 school report card.
Reduced fee and tuition waivers are not available.
$275 each week
All students must deliver the appropriate form(s) to school on the first day of the camp:
- Summer Academy Agreement Form
- Emergency Care Form
- Health Information
- Medication Authorization
- Epinephrine Authorization
- Inhaler Authorization
Students without the appropriate forms will not be able to participate until forms are submitted.
Extended Day Classes
Adult and Community Education (ACE) offers academic and enrichment classes at Fairfax High School from 2:30-5:30 p.m. after camp ends for the day. These classes are an extra cost, and student pick-up at 5:30 p.m. is the responsibility of the parent.