The Family Literacy program supports residents with limited English skills, building literacy and community connections for students and their families.
About the Family Literacy Program
- Empowers families of FCPS students by improving essential life skills and English language abilities.
- Builds a necessary social network that increases the confidence of each student, allowing them to engage in new volunteer and student advocacy experiences.
- Supports efforts of family members to become active and knowledgeable about their children’s school and community.
- Provides a preschool environment for children ages 3-5. Teachers and families work with preschoolers to acquire early literacy skills needed in kindergarten.
- Provides child enrichment activities for children in kindergarten through sixth grade. Teachers and families work with students to support learning.
- Increases their communication skills, allowing more effective interaction among family members, teachers, school staff members, and in the community.
- Creates a connection between school resources and families.
- Improves volunteerism in school activities and ignites interest in taking on leadership roles.
- Gives families the tools to implement positive practices in the home that support learning.
Fairfax County residents with limited English skills are eligible to participate in Family Literacy. Programs are offered at various school sites within the county. Students attending evening programs are encouraged to bring their children currently enrolled in grades K-6. Students attending daytime programs are encouraged to bring their children, ages 3-5, who are not currently enrolled in a preschool class. The Family Literacy program focuses on supporting the whole family. Including children is very important as it fosters strong family ties and builds literacy skills for everyone.
The Family Literacy program is offered in two semesters of 12 weeks each. The fall semester runs from the end of September until mid-December, while the spring semester runs from late January or early February through April. Registration takes place in the fall and winter. However, students may register anytime, provided that there is space in the class. Students who register in the fall do not need to register for the spring session. We encourage students to attend both semesters.
You must reside in Fairfax County to register for the Family Literacy program. Please check the site chart below to determine your closest program location. To register:
- Call the listed school contact to see if there is space in the class.
- If there is space, you are welcome to attend the class.
- Attend classes and bring your children. The Family Literacy program focuses on supporting the whole family.
|Site||Day||Time||Program Spring(12/Weeks)||Parent Liaison/Contact||Phone|
|Annandale Terrace ES||Tuesday/Thursday||6-8 p.m.||January 31, 2017||Miriam Pitchford
|Braddock ES||Monday/Wednesday||6:30-8:30 p.m.||January 30, 2017||Jakelin Lakefirstname.lastname@example.org||703-914-7300|
|Brookfield ES||Tuesday/Thursday||6:30-8:30 p.m.||February 14, 2017||Raquel Francese||RTFrancese@fcps.edu||703-814-8713|
|Dogwood ES||Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday||9-11 a.m.||January 30, 2017||Maria Isazaemail@example.com||703-262-3108|
|Freedom Hill ES||Tuesday/Thursday||6:30-8:30 p.m.||January 31, 2017||Robyn Fernandez||RLFernandez@fcps.edu||703-506-7800|
|Glen Forest ES||Monday/Wednesday||9:30-11:30 a.m.||January 30, 2017||Eugenia Garrisfirstname.lastname@example.org||703-578-8010|
|Graham Road Community Building||Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday||9:30-11:30 a.m.||January 31, 2017||Jacqueline Camargoemail@example.com||571-226-2715|
|Herndon ES||Tuesday/Thursday||6:30-8:30 p.m.||January 31, 2017||Raquel Snyderfirstname.lastname@example.org||703-326-3100|
|Hutchinson ES||Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday||9:30-11:30 a.m.||January 31, 2017||Maria Michlik||MEMichlik@fcps.edu||703-925-8329|
|Lynbrook ES||Tuesday/Thursday||6:30-8:30 p.m.||January 31, 2017||Maggie Perez Rives||MRPerezrives@fcps.edu||703-866-2954|
|Mt. Vernon Woods ES||Monday/Wednesday||6:30-8:30 p.m.||January 30, 2017||Elena Rodriguezemail@example.com||703-619-2802|
|Parklawn ES||Wednesday/Friday||10:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m.||February 1, 2017||Afifa Boltefirstname.lastname@example.org||703-914-6900|
|Sacramento Center||Monday/Wednesday||9:30-11:30 a.m.||January 30, 2017||Connie Ruizemail@example.com||703-619-2513|
|Westlawn ES||Tuesday/Thursday||6:30-8:30 p.m.||January 31, 2017||Silvia Gutierrezfirstname.lastname@example.org||703-241-5100|