Find out the requirements for participating in high school sports in FCPS.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 17, 2020
VHSL Executive Committee Adopts Championships + 1 Schedule
Charlottesville, Va. - The VHSL Executive Committee meeting in special session today voted unanimously (33-0-0) to adopt the “Championships + 1” schedule for the FY 2021 Athletic and Academic Activities season.
“Championships + 1” Condensed Interscholastic Plan (full schedule attached)
- Season 1 (Winter) December 7 – February 20 (First Contest Date – December 21)
- basketball, gymnastics, indoor track, swimming and diving, wrestling
- Season 2 (Fall) February 4 – May 1 (First Contest Date – March 1)
- competition cheerleading, cross country, field hockey, football, golf, volleyball
- Season 3 (Spring) April 12 – June 26 (First Contest Date – April 26)
- baseball, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, track, and field
- Academic Activities (December – June)
- Theatre, Scholastic Bowl, Forensics, Debate, Robotics, Film Festival, Creative Writing, Publications Evaluation, and Multimedia Contest.
“We have received invaluable input from our school communities, parents, and students who say the physical and mental health benefits of getting our students back to a level of participation is extremely important,” said VHSL Executive Director Dr. John W. “Billy” Haun. “The Championships + 1 schedule will provide sports in all three seasons.
“The VHSL Executive Committee acknowledges that no plan is perfect. We are in unprecedented times in which we have been forced to create a temporary new normal. We understand this plan, or any plan, will not meet the expectations for those wanting a normal fall, winter, and spring sports season. This plan, however, will allow student-athletes and academic activity participants the opportunity of having a season and playing for a state championship.”
Virginia High School League
1642 State Farm Boulevard, Charlottesville, VA 22911
Students and parents will need to complete several steps prior to participating in high school sports, including:
- A completed VHSL Pre-Participation Exam Form (must be on the VHSL form and completed after May 1, 2020, in order to be valid for the 2020-21 school year).
- Parent and Student Sports and Concussion Education - Please note that only page 59 of the document should be printed, there is no need to print the entire document. Parents and students are required to review this document and return the signed form (Page 59 ONLY) to school prior to participating in high school sports.
- Please contact FCPSSAAP@fcps.edu or call 571-423-1260 for more information.
- An Emergency Care Card (available as part of FCPS General Registration packet).
- Student-athletes in FCPS are required to be covered by medical insurance. If your student is not covered by another plan, there is a link below to an option.
Virginia High School League Pre-participation Exam FormStudents must have a completed physical exam prior to participating in high school sports. The exam must be completed by a MD, DO, NP or PA on the current VHSL form. The form must be completed by the physician after May 1, 2020 to be valid for the 2020-21 school year. Completed forms should be turned in to the Activities Office at school.
Student Insurance Information
Interscholastic Sports in FCPS
|Cheerleading – Varsity, JV, Freshman||Boys and Girls Basketball - Varsity, JV, Freshman||
Baseball – Varsity, JV
|Boys and Girls Cross Country||Girls Gymnastics||Boys and Girls Crew*|
|Girls Field Hockey – Varsity, JV, Freshman*||Riflery*||Boys and Girls Lacrosse– Varsity, JV|
|Football – Varsity, JV, Freshman||Boys and Girls Swimming/Diving||Boys and Girls Soccer - Varsity, JV|
|Boys and Girls Golf||Boys and Girls Track and Field||Softball – Varsity, JV|
|Girls Volleyball - Varsity, JV, Freshman||Wrestling – Varsity, JV||Boys and Girls Tennis|
|Boys and Girls Track and Field|
Coed Sports - Baseball, Cheerleading, Football, Golf, Riflery*, Wrestling
*Club Sports are not necessarily VHSL sanctioned, but are FCPS sanctioned and are financially self-supporting activities.
Regional Membership of FCPS in Virginia High School League
Each FCPS high school is a member of the Virginia High School League (VHSL) and is assigned in one of three regions.
|Lake Braddock||McLean||Rock Ridge|
|Mount Vernon||Oakton||Stone Bridge|
|T. C. Williams||Yorktown|
|Chantilly||Langley||Hayfield||Lake Braddock||Falls Church|
|Madison||McLean||Mount Vernon||Robinson||Thomas Jefferson|
|Oakton||South Lakes||West Potomac||South County||Justice|
|Westfield||Washington-Lee||T.C. Williams||West Springfield||Lewis|