Office of Communication and Community Relations (OCCR)
The Office of Communication and Community Relations (OCCR) is dedicated to building and maintaining positive relationships with parents, students, employees, businesses, community members, and the media.
The office manages and enhances the reputation of Fairfax County Public Schools as a high-performing school division where students, family, and staff are engaged, inspired, and thrive.
The office is organized into four areas of responsibility:
- FCPS This Week - This online newsletter is a carefully compiled roundup of the most important news and information of interest to FCPS families, staff, and community members. It is emailed on Wednesdays to almost 300,000 subscribers.
- Employee Newsletter - This weekly newsletter is emailed to employees.
- Crisis Communication - Emergency, attendance, and essential outreach messages are distributed via email, telephone and text.
- Social Media - Social media outreach incorporates outlets such as Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Websites - The FCPS public website offers more than 6,000 pages of information, including timely news releases and feature articles. Training and support is offered to more than 200 school websites.
- Freedom of Information Act - FCPS responds to all requests for information made accessible under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.
- Community Outreach and Feedback - FCPS is committed to hearing from all of our families. Outreach programs, such as community meetings and webinars, help to involve key stakeholders and ensure feedback from the community.
- Multilingual Outreach - A multilingual engagement specialist helps ensure that a diversity of families is reached.
- Business and Community Partnerships - FCPS has more than 300 business and community partners working with the school system on eight platforms: mentoring, tutoring, needs-based donations, workforce development (including STEM/STEAM), arts, Get2Green (environmental), health and wellness, and financial gifts.
Digital & Visual Communications
- Videos - Videos are an important tool for distributing information about FCPS programs and people, and for capturing key events such as School Board meetings.
- Photography - Photographs enhance all of our communications and provide an authentic representation of our schools.
- Design, Graphics, and Branding - Designers provide resources and guidelines for system-wide needs. An overall goal is to improve productivity and efficiency, while empowering user engagement with our brand.