Office of Communication and Community Relations (OCCR)
The mission of the Office of Communication and Community Relations (OCCR) is to provide excellent leadership in communications and outreach in order to support the attainment of student achievement goals set by Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). The office provides creative communication support of division-wide initiatives to educate key audiences, increase awareness, and promote a positive perception of FCPS.
OCCR is dedicated to building and maintaining positive relationships with parents, students, employees, businesses, the community, and the media.
OCCR coordinates communication with internal and external stakeholders via various channels such as publications, videos, social media outlets, community events, and more. In addition, the office works closely with media representatives to report school system activities and serve as a liaison in emergency situations.
Some of the office's areas of responsibility include:
- Business and Community Partnerships - FCPS has more than 300 business and community partners working with the school system on eight platforms: mentoring, tutoring, needs-based donations, workforce development (including STEM/STEAM), arts, Get2Green (environmental), health and wellness, and financial gifts.
- Cable TV - FCPS provides news and a variety of original programming on its flagship channel: Red Apple 21 (check your local listing).
- Design, Graphics, and Branding - Designers provide resources and guidelines for system-wide needs. An overall goal is to improve productivity and efficiency, while empowering user engagement with our brand.
- E-Notify (Blackboard Connect) - A part of the FCPS crisis communication service. Emergency, attendance and essential outreach messages are distributed via email, telephone and text.
- Freedom of Information Act - OCCR responds to all requests for information made accessible under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.
- Media Relations - The director of news and information serves as a contact for media professionals covering FCPS and education.
- News - Community members and the media are kept up to date on important FCPS information through a continuous output of news releases and feature articles. A network of school news liaisons helps ensure that stories from individual stories are shared to a broader audience.
- News You Choose - This service allows subscribers to receive email notifications and updates based on interest. Approximately 250 newsletters are available on a variety of topics such as school system news, budget information, and the latest information from designated schools.
- Podcast - The weekly Healthy Minds Podcast offers health and wellness advice from FCPS specialists in psychology, social work, school counseling, and more.
- Videos - Videos are an important tool for distributing information about FCPS programs and people, educating audiences through instructional or how-to productions, and capturing key events such as School Board meetings.
- Social Media - OCCR's outreach incorporates social media outlets such as Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Websites - The FCPS public website is maintained by OCCR, along with an internal website for employee information. Training and support is offered to more than 200 school websites.