Find out the requirements for participating in high school sports in FCPS.
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The VHSL Executive Committee meeting in special session today, 7/27/2020, voted (34-1-0) to move forward with Model 3 in its re-opening of sports and activities for the 2020-21 school year. Model 3 delays all VHSL sports and activities until December 14 and adopts the Condensed Interscholastic Plan. This model leaves all sports in the season where they are currently aligned.
Model 3 – Condensed Interscholastic Plan.
- Season 1 (Winter) December 14 – February 20 (First Contest Date – December 28)
- basketball, gymnastics, indoor track, swim/dive, wrestling
- Season 2 (Fall) February 15 – May 1 (First Contest Date – March 1)
- cheer, cross country, field hockey, football, golf, volleyball
- Season 3 (Spring) April 12 – June 26 (First Contest Date – April 26)
- baseball, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field
“We all understand the physical and mental health benefits of getting our students back to a level of participation. The Condensed Interscholastic Plan Leaves open the opportunity to play all sports in all three seasons if Virginia moves beyond Phase III and/or Phase III guidelines are revised and High Risk Activities are allowed,” said VHSL Executive Director Dr. John W. “Billy” Haun. “This plan also allows schools the opportunity to open the year and get school started and deal with issues such as schedules, academic plans, transportation, dealing with possible outbreaks of COVID in the school.
“The VHSL will continue to work closely with the best available information and directives provided by the Governor, the Virginia Department of Health (VDH), and the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE).” Haun said.
Students and parents will need to complete several steps prior to participating in high school sports, including:
- A completed VHSL Pre-Participation Exam Form (must be on the VHSL form and completed after May 1, 2020, in order to be valid for the 2020-21 school year).
- Parent and Student Sports and Concussion Education - Please note that only page 59 of the document should be printed, there is no need to print the entire document. Parents and students are required to review this document and return the signed form (Page 59 ONLY) to school prior to participating in high school sports.
- Please contact FCPSSAAP@fcps.edu or call 571-423-1260 for more information.
- An Emergency Care Card (available as part of FCPS General Registration packet).
- Student-athletes in FCPS are required to be covered by medical insurance. If your student is not covered by another plan, there is a link below to an option.
Virginia High School League Pre-participation Exam FormStudents must have a completed physical exam prior to participating in high school sports. The exam must be completed by a MD, DO, NP or PA on the current VHSL form. The form must be completed by the physician after May 1, 2020 to be valid for the 2020-21 school year. Completed forms should be turned in to the Activities Office at school.
Student Insurance Information
Interscholastic Sports in FCPS
|Cheerleading – Varsity, JV, Freshman||Boys and Girls Basketball - Varsity, JV, Freshman||
Baseball – Varsity, JV
|Boys and Girls Cross Country||Girls Gymnastics||Boys and Girls Crew*|
|Girls Field Hockey – Varsity, JV, Freshman*||Riflery*||Boys and Girls Lacrosse– Varsity, JV|
|Football – Varsity, JV, Freshman||Boys and Girls Swimming/Diving||Boys and Girls Soccer - Varsity, JV|
|Boys and Girls Golf||Boys and Girls Track and Field||Softball – Varsity, JV|
|Girls Volleyball - Varsity, JV, Freshman||Wrestling – Varsity, JV||Boys and Girls Tennis|
|Boys and Girls Track and Field|
Coed Sports - Baseball, Cheerleading, Football, Golf, Riflery*, Wrestling
*Club Sports are not necessarily VHSL sanctioned, but are FCPS sanctioned and are financially self-supporting activities.
Regional Membership of FCPS in Virginia High School League
Each FCPS high school is a member of the Virginia High School League (VHSL) and is assigned in one of three regions.
|Lake Braddock||McLean||Rock Ridge|
|Mount Vernon||Oakton||Stone Bridge|
|T. C. Williams||Yorktown|
|Chantilly||Langley||Hayfield||Lake Braddock||Falls Church|
|Madison||McLean||Mount Vernon||Robinson||Thomas Jefferson|
|Oakton||South Lakes||West Potomac||South County||Justice|
|Westfield||Washington-Lee||T.C. Williams||West Springfield||Lewis|