Auditor General - Reporting Fraud, Waste, and Abuse
Learn everything you need to know about reporting any fraud, waste, and abuse within FCPS.
Our objective is to provide FCPS employees and the general public a confidential means for reporting suspected wrongdoing involving fraud, waste, and abuse of school assets and resources. Violations include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Theft or misuse of school funds or property.
- Records falsification (such as personnel records, time and attendance, or procurement.)
- Abuse of authority or using position for person gain.
- Receiving kickbacks.
- Corruption and bribery.
What are fraud, waste, and abuse?
According to the Code of Virginia, fraud, waste, and abuse are defined as:
- "Fraud" means the intentional deception perpetrated by an individual or individuals, or an organization or organizations, either internal or external to Fairfax County Public Schools, that could result in a tangible or intangible benefit to themselves, others, or the locality or could cause detriment to others or the locality. Fraud includes a false representation of a matter of fact, whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading statements, or by concealment of that which should have been disclosed, which deceives and is intended to deceive.
- "Waste" means the intentional or unintentional, thoughtless or careless expenditure, consumption, mismanagement, use, or squandering of resources owned or operated by the locality to the detriment or potential detriment of the locality. Waste also includes incurring unnecessary costs because of inefficient or ineffective practices, systems, or controls.
- "Abuse" means the excessive or improper use of something, or the employment of something in a manner contrary to the natural or legal rules for its use; the intentional destruction, diversion, manipulation, misapplication, maltreatment, or misuse of resources owned or operated by the locality; or extravagant or excessive use so as to abuse one's position or authority
How to report fraud, waste, and abuse complaints?
If you are unsure how to proceed with a concern, you may contact us during normal business hours at 571-423-1320 for guidance prior to calling the hotline or completing the fraud, waste, and abuse form. Form is linked below as a fillable pdf.
- In person: The Office of Auditor General for Fairfax County Public Schools is located in the Gatehouse Administration Building, 8115 Gatehouse Road, Suite 5500, Falls Church, Virginia, 22042. Regular operating hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- By phone: 571-423-1320, Office of Auditor General, main line. The fraud, waste, and abuse hotline at 571-423-1333 may be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Callers may remain anonymous as long as the call originates from outside of Gatehouse. If you wish to remain anonymous and would like to call from a phone within the Gatehouse building, please dial 9 then 571-423-1333 to get into the Hotline. This is a voicemail box and only responds to outside calls. You may leave a message.
- By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, e-mail is not anonymous.
- Online: Complete and submit the webform online.
What will happen after you report?
We take all complaints and reports seriously, and will make every effort to investigate the reports, according to the applicable laws, codes, policies, or regulations. You can assist us in our investigation by providing as much information as possible.
You are encouraged to leave your contact information to enable us to gather or clarify information as needed. If you choose to remain anonymous, ensure that you provide thorough and detailed information to enable a review of your complaint.