Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug Programs
FCPS offers activities and learning experiences which focus on the many ways marijuana, alcohol, tobacco/vaping, and other drug use can negatively impact student lives.
Substance Abuse Prevention Specialist Program
Students who violate the Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug (ATOD) regulation of the Student Rights and Responsibilities (SR&R) take part in our ATOD Intervention Program.
Students meet with a Substance Abuse Prevention Specialist (SAPS) in school during the school day. The SAPS assesses a student’s level of substance use and provide appropriate level of intervention, which can include:
- Substance abuse prevention education,
- Individual or group intervention,
- Referral to a community behavioral health provider.
FCPS provides students with the most accurate and up-to-date information on substance use, addiction, and treatment. This includes medical, physical, social and psychological consequences. Students learn the tools and strategies they need to stop using these substances, including refusal skills and cessation techniques.
Staff members and parents can refer a student to the ATOD program. Students can also refer themselves. A student can take part in the ATOD program regardless of whether the student has violated the ATOD regulation in the SR&R.
As part of the ATOD Intervention Program, FCPS requires the parents of participating students to watch an ATOD education video.
The video helps parents:
- Understand the concept of addictive disease
- Learn reasons young people engage in substance use behavior
- Become familiar with the signs, symptoms, and characteristic behaviors of addiction
- View some of the most popular drug paraphernalia.
- Learn the latest trends in drug use and some of the ways students are obtaining substances
- Learn about available resources for seeking help.
Required ATOD Parent Training VideoThis video is required for parents of students participating in the ATOD Intervention Program. It is approximately 1 hour long. Please allow yourself time to complete the video in its entirety. Your completion will be recorded once you have entered your information after completing the training.
ATOD Prevention Curriculum
FCPS Student Safety and Wellness (SSAW) curriculum and content provides students with the most up-to-date information on current substance abuse trends, prevention strategies, interventions, and supports. Students learn how substance abuse impacts their health, academic achievement, and relationships. They also learn about related laws, policies, and regulations.
- ATOD Parent Presentation
This presentation provides parents and community members with information related to substance use trends amongst youth, supports for students, and strategies for engaging youth in discussions related to substance use. Viewers are invited to either watch the presentation in its entirety or select the specific topic they are most interested in.
- Drug Awareness for Parents: Trends in Alcohol and Drug Use Presentation
Information on what parents should know about the current trends in alcohol and drug use. This presentation includes:
- Current trends in substance use and abuse
- Image of substances on physical and emotional development
- Paraphernalia display and discussion
- Tools for parents
- Strategies for engaging youth in discussions around substance use prevention
School principals can contact SSAW to schedule training for their staff and administrators. The staff presentation includes:
- The substances being utilized by youth
- A display of the various substances and paraphernalia.
- Information on to address alcohol, tobacco/vaping, and drug issues with youth
- Information on how staff can provide resources that can assist at-risk students.
For additional information, please contact the Student Safety and Wellness Office at 571-423-4270.