Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) Program
Empowering Parents, Educating Children, Investing in the Future
Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) partners with parents to prepare their children for success in school. With HIPPY, parents build on their capacity to be their child’s first teacher and strengthen the parent-child relationship.
HIPPY is a free program for parents of preschoolers who are two, three, or four years old and who want to instruct their children at home. Parents will learn to engage their children in activities related to:
- Shapes and Colors
- Language Development
Parents meet with a HIPPY-trained instructor for an hour each week, October through May. Meetings take place with a small group of parents virtually or at a central location.
- Age-appropriate activity packets to use with their children at home
- Nine story books
- A set of 20 geometric shapes
- Other supplies
HIPPY instructors are members of the communities they serve. Their knowledge of the community allows them to connect with parents, understand the challenges they face, and develop a trusting relationship with them.
You may enroll in HIPPY by telephone if:
- You reside in Fairfax County.
- Your child has celebrated a second, third or fourth birthday before the start of the program (September 30).
- Your child is not already enrolled in Head Start.
Hippy Program Leader
Family Partnership Specialist