Early Literacy Program for African Heritage Families
The Early Literacy Program is a free, interactive parent and child program. Parents learn school-readiness strategies to prepare their child for future school success.
Parents are able to help their children develop essential early literacy skills at home and gain confidence in their own ability to become active partners in their children's education. The program provides information and resources on how parents can establish a positive home-school connection by:
- Understanding the important role parents play as their child's first teachers.
- Recognizing behavioral and academic expectations of Fairfax County Public Schools.
- Becoming familiar with school programs and services such as: interpreters, parent liaisons, health and nutrition services, library services, enrichment programs and before and after school care.
- Parents receive a certificate of participation upon completion of the program, as well as books and other materials.
Class Schedule Fall 2021-22
Classes begin in October and meet twice a week for 7 weeks.
Monday and Wednesday Classes
Classes that meet on Monday and Wednesday start October 18, 2021:
- Class 1: 9:30 to 11 a.m.
- Class 2: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Class 3: 12:30 to 2 p.m.
- Class 4: 1:30 to 3 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday Classes
Classes that meet on Tuesday and Thursday start October 19, 2021:
- Class 5: 9:30 to 11 a.m.
- Class 6: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Class 7: 12:30 to 2 p.m.
- Class 8: 1:30 to 3 p.m.
- Class 9: 5 to 6:30 p.m.
The Saturday class meets from 10 to 11:30 a.m. and starts October 23, 2021.
- This program is for Fairfax County residents only. Proof of residency will be verified on the first day of class.
- When registering one child, the child has to be at least two years of age by September 30, 2020.
- When registering two children the younger sibling has to be at least 2 1/2 (born on or before March 31, 2021)
- Base schools can be looked up in the Boundary Locator
How to Apply
Applications can be faxed to 703-204-4311 or mailed to:
Family and School Partnerships
2334 Gallows Road
Dunn Loring, VA 22027