TJHSST Freshman Winter Application Process
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Admissions
TJHSST Class of 2024 (2019-2020 Applicants)
Students who apply to TJHSST are beginning one of two parts of the freshman admissions process.
Part 1 (All Applicants):
- Meet Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility RequirementsAm I eligible to apply to TJ?
- If eligible to apply, complete the TJHSST Admissions Online Application
- Take the Admissions Tests (Quant-Q, ACT Aspire Reading and Science)
Part 2 (Semifinalists Only):
- Complete the Student Information Sheet (3 prompts 1650 characters each) and Essay (1 problem-solving essay 3700 characters each)
- Submit two teacher recommendations
Semifinalists must have two teachers (one 7th or 8th grade math or science teacher and a second 7th or 8th grade teacher of the applicant's choice) complete a teacher recommendation form. The form asks the teacher to reflect on his/her experience with you in the classroom, whether an applicant has particular traits important to the mission and goals of the school, and how an applicant may contribute to the learning environment at TJHSST.
**New Calendar for 2020 - 2021 Winter Round**
Posted - January 28, 2020
- August 31, 2020 - Applications available online - 4:00 pm
- September 25, 2020 - Application deadline - 4:00 pm
- November 7, 2020 - Test Day
- November 13, 2020 - Accommodations, Make-Up and Alternate Test Day
- January 15, 2021 - Semifinalist Notification
- February 13, 2021 - Essay/SIS Test Administration
- February 19, 2021 - Accommodations, Make-Up and Alternate Test Day
- April 30, 2021 - Final decisions posted (No later than)
(If you are a family interested in the Summer Application Process for 2019-2020, please go to that specific location in our website for up-to-date information regarding our monitoring of COVID-19 relating to any potential testing date changes.)
Remaining Dates for 2019 - 2020 Winter Round
- February 14, 2020 - Essay/SIS Accommodations Test Day
- February 15, 2020 – Inclement Weather date for Essay/SIS Administration
- February 21, 2020 - Inclement Weather date for Essay/SIS Accommodations Test Day
- April 30, 2020 – Final decisions posted (No later than)
Steps to Complete the Application
1. The applicant must access the Log-In Screen prior to the parent and complete the initial log-in process that includes entry of a parent name and email address.
2. Parent receives an auto-generated email containing the "link" for them to log-in and create the parent account. This link does expire so parents are encouraged to log in as soon as possible.
3. TJ Liaison Counselor from the applicant's school verifies math course. (Allow 24 hours, minimum, for this verification to be completed.) Auto-generated email is sent to applicant and parent after verification advising them they may complete the application.
4. Applicant and parent must both electronically sign and parent must complete payment of $100. Fee waivers are available upon request. (Payment of fee does not submit the application.)
5. Submit the application.
6. An auto-generated email will be sent to the applicant and parent advising them that the application has been submitted.