TJHSST Freshman Winter Application Process
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Admissions
TJHSST Class of 2023 (2018-2019 Applicants)
Students who apply to TJHSST are beginning one of two parts of the freshman admissions process.
Part 1 (All Applicants):
- Meet Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility RequirementsAm I eligible to apply to TJ?
- If eligible to apply, complete the TJHSST Admissions Online Application
- Take the Admissions Tests (Quant-Q, ACT Aspire Reading and Science)
Individual Test Site Instructions for November 10, 2018
Carson Middle School
- Student may not enter building until 7:30 am.
- Once entering building, please follow signs outside the cafeteria.
- No parents will be allowed inside the building.
- Students will not be allowed to stop at their lockers.
- All snacks and drinks must fit inside a gallon Ziploc bag that closes.
Frost Middle School
- Students must enter through the cafeteria door (to the right of Door 1).
- Once in cafeteria, find check-in table containing last name of student to find their testing room number.
- Parents are not allowed inside building. Students will meet parents outside Door 1 at conclusion.
- Frost students may not use their lockers.
- No calculators, cellphones, watches and/or other electronic device allowed. No exceptions.
- Food and drinks must be placed into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag.
Jackson Middle School
- Students must enter through Door 8 (which faces the Gold's Gym shopping center).
- Parents should pick up at Door 8.
Williamsburg Middle School
- Students must enter through Door 4 (located outside of the cafeteria at the lower parking lot). When coming up Harrison Street, the first parking lot on your left will take you directly to Door 4.
- Once in cafeteria, students will receive their room assignment.
- No parents are allowed inside the building.
- Parents should pick up at Door 4 also.
Part 2 (Semifinalists Only):
- Complete the Student Information Sheet (3 prompts 1650 characters each) and Essay (1 problem-solving essay 3700 characters each)
- Submit two teacher recommendations
Semifinalists must have two teachers (one 7th or 8th grade math or science teacher and a second 7th or 8th grade teacher of the applicant's choice) complete a teacher recommendation form. The form asks the teacher to reflect on his/her experience with you in the classroom, whether an applicant has particular traits important to the mission and goals of the school, and how an applicant may contribute to the learning environment at TJHSST.
**Important Dates for 2018 - 2019 Winter Round**
- September 3, 2018 – Online applications available.
- September 28, 2018 – APPLICATION DEADLINE at 4:00 p.m.
- November 10, 2018 – Test Day
- November 16, 2018 – Accommodations Test Day
- January 18, 2019 – Applicants receive semifinalist pool notification through online system
- January 25, 2019 – Entry by Applicants of Teacher Recommendation Information Deadline
- February 9, 2019 – Essay/SIS Administration Day
- February 11, 2019 - Deadline for Teacher Recommendations
- February 15, 2019 - Essay/SIS Accommodations Test Day
- February 16, 2019 – Inclement Weather date for Essay/SIS Administration
- February 22, 2019 - Inclement Weather date for Essay/SIS Accommodations Test Day
- April 30, 2019 – Final admissions decisions posted (No later than)
Steps to Complete the Application
1. The applicant must access the Log-In Screen prior to the parent and complete the initial log-in process that includes entry of a parent name and email address.
2. Parent receives an auto-generated email containing the "link" for them to log-in and create the parent account. This link does expire so parents are encouraged to log in as soon as possible.
3. TJ Liaison Counselor from the applicant's school verifies math course. (Allow 24 hours, minimum, for this verification to be completed.) Auto-generated email is sent to applicant and parent after verification advising them they may complete the application.
4. Applicant and parent must both electronically sign and parent must complete payment of $100. Fee waivers are available upon request. (Payment of fee does not submit the application.)
5. Submit the application.
6. An auto-generated email will be sent to the applicant and parent advising them that the application has been submitted.