Advanced Academics Identification and Placement for Current FCPS Students
What levels of service are available? How can I have my child screened for different levels of service?
FCPS offers a continuum of services for elementary students to meet their current academic needs. To learn more about these services, please visit the Elementary AAP page.
Level IV Referral Deadline: January 9, 2020
Parents of student in grades 2-7 may refer for full-time Level IV placement.
Part-Time Advanced Academic Services (Level II and III)
All students are evaluated for school-based services using multiple measures during the spring screening timeframe in May. For consideration outside of the screening window, please follow the steps detailed below. All decisions regarding these services are made at the local school.
Submit the Level II-III Referral Form to the Advanced Academic Resource Teacher (AART) at your local elementary school.
Contact your school's AART for questions regarding student eligibility or placement in school-based services.
The AART reviews all pertinent information with the local screening committee.
The school notifies you of the eligibility decision by mail within approximately 30 days.
Student begins receiving services immediately after decision is processed.
The decision may be appealed once per school year by contacting the AART in writing and providing new information about the student.
Full-Time Level IV Services
All decisions regarding full-time placement in Level IV are made through a central screening committee of educators from across FCPS.
- Refer student for screening prior to deadline.
- Submit the Advanced Academic Programs Level IV Referral Form to the school. Parents or guardians may refer students in Grades 2-7
- Student is in the second grade screening pool. The second grade screening pool is created based on scores from FCPS-administered ability tests given to students in Grades 1 and 2. Pool students are not guaranteed eligibility, but they are automatically referred for screening.
Optional – submit additional information to the Advanced Academic Resource Teacher (AART) at your local elementary school or the Director of Student Services (DSS) at the middle school by the deadline. Learn more about the requirements for additional information by visiting the Full-Time Level IV Services Identification Procedures page.
- Parent/Guardian Questionnaire
- Student Work Samples - limit 4 pages
- Achievement Test Scores (SOL Scores Already Included)
- Private Ability Test Results
- Student Awards or Commendations - limit 5 pages
The central screening committee meets according to the timeline.
Decision letters will be mailed to parent’s home address according to the timeline.
Attend Level IV Orientation at the Elementary School.
Return Permission for Placement Form by the deadline.
Parents may refer for part-time services at any time. Parents may refer for Level IV screening during the next screening cycle.
Parents or guardians may submit an appeal. Directions for appeals are contained in the ineligibility letter and on the Level IV Appeals page. Appeals may only be from the most recent screening cycle and must contain new information not contained in the original screening file.