Important Justice High School Addition Update
Dear Justice High School Community,
FCPS has been working closely with the community and the County to address capacity issues at Justice High School.
We are pleased to be able to provide a significant update in our building expansion efforts to find a solution to relieve overcrowding and provide a learning and working environment deserving of our staff and students.
We would like to thank the community and our stakeholders for their feedback. It has been invaluable as we have worked to finalize the plans for this sizable addition to the school facilities. FCPS staff has shared the plans at varying stages of the process with the school, community, PTSA, Mason District Land Use Committee (October 27, 2020; April 26, 2022; and June 28, 2022), and the Fairfax County Planning Commission on July 13, 2022.
During the process that resulted in the proposed plan:
- The design team investigated additional parking options including restricting the existing parking lot with angled parking, but that yielded less parking than the original plan.
- New design features were added to include additional proposed parking near the front entrance to the school and the gym, which is a change to the current configuration and operations during student drop-off and pick-up times. The new parking designated near the school entrance will replace the current bus pull-up and buses will remain in the drive aisle.
- A new kiss & ride location was identified at the rear of the site near the new addition. The design team will investigate the opportunity to queue vehicles for kiss & ride at the rear of the school.
- A new sidewalk and striped parking spaces along the school side of Peace Valley Lane across from Justice Park were added.
- The potential for reserved parking on Peace Valley Lane across from the residential neighborhood for school use during school hours was explored.
- Stormwater enhancements via the installation of three stormwater units which will improve the existing systems are included.
- Solar initiatives including an installation of solar panels for some domestic hot water units in the new addition were included.
The project was originally funded for construction in the 2019 School Bond Referendum and was slated for completion in Fall 2022. Construction is now scheduled to start in spring/summer 2023 with completion in summer 2025.
The latest plans for the Justice HS addition will be on the agenda at the Fairfax County Planning Commission on July 20, 2022, which can be viewed online. The plans will also be on the agenda at the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors’ Public Hearing on August 2, 2022.
Please send questions, comments, and concerns to [email protected], the County Board at Send Email - Contact Us - Fairfax County, Virginia, or the Fairfax County Public Schools at the Office of Design and Construction at 571-423-2280 or email FCPS Director, Design and Construction Heather Diez at [email protected]
Fairfax County Public Schools