Background Checks and Fingerprinting (Volunteers and Mentors)
Student safety is of utmost importance.
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is fortunate to have individuals who contribute time and energy to students as volunteers. Because student safety is of utmost importance, FCPS requires volunteers who meet with students on a frequent and regular basis to have a background check.
There is a separate process, which includes training, for caring-adult mentors.
Our background checks and fingerprinting program is free, and we have a mobile fingerprinting team who will travel to your organization if there are five or more people prepared to go through the process at one time.
Volunteering in FCPS (Individuals)
Mobile Fingerprinting Service (Groups)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Parking Free?
- Yes, parking at the FCPS Gatehouse Center is free, below the building. Once parked, visit the Welcome Desk on floor 1 and tell them you are there for fingerprinting
- Where I can find the appropriate forms?
- HR-8 (This document must be initiated by an FCPS hiring supervisor)
- Are there any special instructions when completing the form?
- Make sure that you use your full legal name on all forms. No nicknames please.
- At the time of your fingerprinting, you’ll be asked to complete some additional forms. Be careful and honest when completing all forms. If you have anything on your personal record, it is necessary to include it in the agreement. An incomplete form may disqualify you from volunteering in FCPS.
- A prior felony offense of any kind will disqualify you from volunteering for FCPS.