Substitute Teaching Opportunities
In response to the state of Virginia’s mandated closures related to COVID-19, the Department of Human Resources' Office of Substitute Employment is facilitating virtual orientation sessions until further notice.
Are You Ready to Apply?Find out what you will need to apply for a substitute teacher position at FCPS.
In light of the pandemic, FCPS has adjusted requirements to substitute as follows:
- To become a substitute teacher, a minimum of 30 college credits is required. An exception may be provided for applicants who do not have a minimum of 30 college credits but are enrolled in an approved teacher education preparatory program or participated in a teacher introduction course in high school.
- FCPS will suspend, for this school year, its requirement that substitutes sub a minimum of ten days per school year in order to remain active.
Please see responses to popular questions below:
- Where can I find information about school safety measures related to COVID-19? (11/3/20)
FCPS has developed comprehensive guidance regarding school health practices for students, as we reopen schools during COVID-19. This guidance is consistent with Governor Northam’s phased reopening plan for Virginia schools and guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Visit the Student Health and Safety Guidance webpage for details.
- Are all students required to wear masks when on school property? (11/3/20)
All students who are two years of age and older, as well as all staff and visitors, are required to wear face masks (cloth or disposable) while on school property–inside FCPS facilities, during FCPS-provided transportation, and during school-sponsored activities. Provisions, requirements, and exemptions regarding the use of face masks are outlined in Regulation 2109–Face Coverings to Mitigate the Spread of Infectious Disease.
- What type of training is available for substitute teachers? (11/3/20)
To help prepare substitutes for work in the virtual environment, FCPS has launched a suite of courses to help our substitutes manage and facilitate virtual classrooms, COVID-related health and safety protocols, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, Google Meet training, and other tools. After completing the training, substitutes will be paid at their current daily rate up to three-hours of completed course time. This year, substitutes must complete the training prior to subbing in an Fairfax County public school.
- Is there an option to substitute virtually? (11/3/20)
Yes, there is. We are operating with the same perspective that substitutes will take on the schedule of the teacher for whom they are subbing.
- When are the Substitute Information Sessions held? (11/3/20)
Substitute Information Sessions are held virtually every Friday. You do not have to attend a session in order to substitute. If you have a question or just want to learn about being a substitute teacher at FCPS, please register for a session.