5-4-3-2-1 Early Childhood Tips for Today: Literacy
Things to Know or Do
- Read with your child, tell stories, recite nursery rhymes and sing fingerplays.
- Ask your child simple questions about the book.
- Attend a storytime at the public library.
- Expose children to environmental print.
- Act out stories through dramatic play, draw simple pictures, or sequence pictures to retell a story.
Children Read Alouds
Rosie’s Walk—Pat Hutchins
Rosie the hen leaves the chicken coop and sets out for a little walk. Right behind her is the fox, slyly trying to catch up with her. Rosie's … blissfully unaware of the fox's travails as he tries -- unsuccessfully -- to navigate the obstacle course that Rosie has led him through.
Jump, Frog, Jump—Robert Kalan
A rollicking cumulative tale of a frog who tries to catch a fly without getting caught itself.
Video to View
Disclaimer: This web page contains links to one or more web pages that are outside the FCPS network. FCPS does not control the content or relevancy of these pages.