FY 2018 Budget Information
FCPS' budget for the 2017-18 school year.
The FCPS FY 2018 (2017-18 school year) budget reflects the school system's priorities. It's also a communications tool that informs parents, staff members, students, and community members about our values and goals.
At its May 25, 2017 meeting, the Fairfax County School Board adopted the Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) FY 2018 Approved Budget of $2.8 billion that includes reductions of more than $50 million that were necessary to fund required expenditure increases and address employee compensation which is a priority in FCPS’ Strategic Plan. The budget includes $44.0 million for an average step increase of 2.5 percent for all eligible employees, an additional $26.6 million as part of a multi-year plan to enhance teacher salaries and make them more competitive, and $0.4 million for parent liaison compensation. The budget also includes $2.0 million to implement a new Classroom Instructional Support pay scale for instructional assistants, public health assistants and public health training assistants and a new Schedule H for food service workers and bus drivers and attendants. more
On February 10, 2017, the Fairfax County School Board adopted the FY 2018 Advertised Budget of $2.8 billion, an increase of 5.1 percent, or $135.1 million, from the FY 2017 Approved Budget. The FY 2018 budget includes $44.0 million for a step increase of 2.5 percent for all eligible employees; an additional $33.2 million as part of a multi-year plan to enhance teacher salaries and make them more competitive; and $45.9 million for anticipated increases in health insurance and contributions to the retirement systems. The enhancement in teacher salaries includes the value of a market scale adjustment, and the nonteacher salary scales also include a 1.0 percent adjustment.
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) Interim Superintendent Steve Lockard presented, to the Fairfax County School Board on January 12, 2017, the $2.8 billion Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 Proposed Budget for the School Operating Fund. This is an increase of $130.4 million, or 4.9 percent, over the FY 2017 Approved Budget. The FY 2018 Proposed Budget focuses on two key priorities from the FCPS Strategic Plan Ignite: employee compensation and classroom resources. This budget proposal supports more than 188,000 students, nearly 200 schools and centers, and staffing of approximately 28,000 employees – 9 out of 10 of whom are based in schools.
This proposal includes $44.0 million for an average step increase of 2.5 percent for all eligible employees, including teachers and non-teachers. This proposal also includes an ongoing investment of $33.2 million as part of a multi-year plan to move FCPS teachers closer to the regional market average for teacher pay. The FY 2018 budget also includes $41.2 million for anticipated increases in health insurance and contributions to the retirement systems.
Complete list of FY 2018 budget documents.
In addition, Dr. Lockard has reconvened the Budget Task Force, a committee of community members nominated by various stakeholders (by School Board members, the County Board of Supervisors, community groups, and FCPS employees) in order to provide input on the budget process and to address a likely budget shortfall for FY 2018. The Task Force was originally created as part of the FY 2017 Budget process to identify potential programs and services to reduce, eliminate, or redesign. Complete information on the Budget Task Force can be found on Boarddocs.
FY 2018 Budget Calendar
- January 12 - Superintendent releases FY 2018 Proposed Budget.
- January 23 - School Board conducts budget work session.
- January 30 - School Board holds public hearings on FY 2018 Advertised Budget (additional hearings on January 31 and February 1 if needed). REGISTER TO SPEAK
- February 2 - School Board conducts budget work session.
- February 9 - School Board adopts FY 2018 Advertised Budget
- February 14 - Fairfax County Executive releases FY 2018 Advertised Budget Plan
- February 21 - Joint Board of Supervisors and School Board Meeting
- February 28 - Fairfax County Board of Supervisors advertises tax rate.
- March 13 - School Board conducts budget work session.
- April 4 - School Board presents FCPS budget to Fairfax County Board of Supervisors.
- April 4-6 - Board of Supervisors holds public hearings on the budget.
- April 24 - School Board conducts budget work session.
- April 25 - County Board of Supervisors completes FY 2018 Budget mark-up to determine budget package and tax rate.
- May 1 - School Board conducts budget work session.
- May 2 - County Board of Supervisors approves the FY 2018 Adopted County Budget, tax rate resolution, and transfer amount to schools.
- May 11 - School Board FY 2018 Approved Budget presented for new business.
- May 16 - School Board holds public hearings on FY 2018 Budget (additional hearing on May 17 if needed).
- May 18 - School Board conducts budget work session.
- May 25 - School Board adopts FY 2018 Approved Budget.
- July 1 - FY 2018 begins.