Outstanding Secondary New Teacher
The FCPS Employee Awards recognizing this year's outstanding new secondary school teacher
The process of nominating a candidate for the Outstanding Secondary School New Teacher Award begins at the school level through each school's awards liaison. The awards liaison at each school has information about the nomination process and deadlines.
Any FCPS employee or community member can nominate a teacher for this award, but employees may not nominate themselves. Eligible candidates must be within the first three years of teaching and are aware of and in agreement with this nomination.
Nominees are teachers who:
- Exhibit superior instructional skills
- Interact exceptionally well with students
- Demonstrate excellent ability to communicate and engage with faculty, staff, parents and the community
- Foster an environment where diversity in all of its forms is valued and appreciated and demonstrate keeping equity at the center of their work
- Contribute to one or more of the following Ignite Goals, in the FCPS Strategic Plan:
- Student Success
- Caring Culture
- Premier Workforce
- Resource Stewardship
The Selection Process
All schools will conduct a local nomination process to determine their Outstanding Secondary New Teacher. The Outstanding Secondary New Teacher from each school advances to the pyramid level where a Pyramid Secondary School New Teacher is selected to advance to the region level. The Region Outstanding Secondary School New Teacher is selected from each group of pyramid level winners and is a finalist for the award. The overall FCPS Outstanding Secondary New Teacher is chosen from this group of finalists.
Awards and Recognition
All school-level honorees will be recognized. The annual FCPS Outstanding Secondary New Teacher will be announced at the FCPS Honors event and will receive $4000. In recognition of collaborative teamwork, the FCPS award winners and their colleagues will also receive a celebration at their worksite.