Outstanding Elementary Teacher
The FCPS Employee Awards recognizing this year's outstanding elementary school teacher.
The process of nominating a candidate for the Outstanding Elementary Teacher Award begins at the school level through each school's awards liaison. The awards liaison at each school has information about the nomination process and deadlines.
Any FCPS employee or community member can nominate a teacher for this award, but employees may not nominate themselves. Eligible candidates must have completed at least three full years of teaching and be aware of and in agreement with this nomination.
Nominees are teachers who:
- Instill in students a desire to learn and achieve
- Understand the individual needs of students, encourage their talents and foster their self-esteem
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of subject matter and the ability to share it effectively with students
- Foster cooperative relationships and engage with their colleagues and the community
- Demonstrate outstanding leadership
- Foster an environment where diversity in all of its forms is valued and appreciated and demonstrate keeping equity at the center of their work
- Contribute to one or more of the following Ignite Goals, in the FCPS Strategic Plan:
- Student Success
- Caring Culture
- Premier Workforce
- Resource Stewardship
The Selection Process
All schools will conduct a local nomination process to determine their Outstanding Elementary Teacher. The Outstanding Elementary Teacher from each school advances to the pyramid level where a Pyramid Elementary School Teacher is selected to advance to the region level. The Region Outstanding Elementary School Teacher is selected from each group of pyramid level winners and is a finalist for each award. The annual overall FCPS Outstanding Elementary Teacher is chosen from each group of finalists.
Awards and Recognition
All school-level honorees will be recognized. The annual FCPS Outstanding Elementary Teacher will be announced at the FCPS Honors event and will receive $4000. In recognition of collaborative teamwork, the FCPS award winners and their colleagues will also receive a celebration at their worksite.