Health and Medical Courses and Certifications
Training for today’s workforce!
Start your healthcare career with ACE! ACE Health and Medical classes offer training for today’s workforce. Gain skills and industry credentials to advance your career.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics healthcare is one of the fastest growing industries and is projected to add 3.3 million jobs over the next 10 years (2020 to 2030). Additionally, many entry level positions in healthcare do not require a college degree. Our ACE programs have
- Been designed to fast-track you to a new career.
- Online, in-person and hybrid options to fit your schedule and budget.
You can complete your training in as little as 5 to 16 weeks. Several programs include an exam voucher as well as an externship, giving students real world experience. With classes offered throughout the year, ACE is the place for workforce development training and continuing education.
ACE has partnered with the National Healthcare Association (NHA) to offer training and skills that employers expect. Stacking the right credentials shows employers you are work-ready across multiple disciplines.
Ways to Learn
There are two types of Online Scheduled Time Classes
- Are live and are not pre-recorded.
- Have specific dates, times and schedule assignments as needed.
You can actively participate in the session and have direct communication with the instructor during and after each session.
Enroll at least several business days before the scheduled start date of the class to make sure that you receive an email before the start of the class. The email will come from the ACE Instructor’s FCPS email address one to two days before class starts with information on how to log in and get started.
Note you need regular access to a computer with:
- A webcam
- A microphone
- Internet connection
These classes are guided by an instructor and have a specific monthly start date. Because of this you have some enrollment flexibility.
Lessons are released biweekly. You and the instructor will interact using an online class discussion board.
These classes are typically six weeks long with an additional two weeks to prepare for the final exam.
Note: You need regular access to a computer with speakers and an internet connection.
Online Anytime classes
- Are self-paced online classes.
- Do not have defined dates and times for each session,
- Have “Anytime” in the title.
A few business days after you register, you will get an email with the access code for the class. Because it is a self-paced class, you can access the code when it is convenient for you; even at midnight if you cannot sleep!
You will have a limited number of weeks or months to complete the class. Check your receipt for details on how long you have to use the code provided.
Note: You need regular access to a computer with speakers and an internet connection.
In-person classes are held at specific locations throughout Fairfax County, primarily within a Fairfax County Public School High School or Center. These classes are typically in the evenings and on weekends all twelve months of the year.
Class options exceptions:
- Classes held at Pimmit Hills Center and the Plum Center.
- Classes during the summer months may be held in FCPS high schools during the day.
For hybrid classes, a portion of the class is provided online, and a portion is provided face to face.
Externships are held outside of the ACE class location. These sessions provide the chance to get hands-on clinical experience.
Opportunities for externships vary by individual instructional program.
Courses and Certifications
Whether you are looking for administrative or clinical work, start your healthcare career with us!
Our courses are taught by subject matter experts in a variety of health and medical fields.
This class meets Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. for 5 weeks; 120-hours total. The class includes 80 hours that are didactic (in the classroom) and 40 hours are clinical (on-site at clinical partnerships).
- An online placement test. It has 48 multiple choice questions and tests English proficiency. Register for the Certified Nurse Aide Placement Test.
- A background check
- Documentation of a TB test (within the last 12 months)
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to the CNA class start date.
- We follow the Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) guidelines regarding COVID-19 vaccinations.
- This means candidates must provide proof that they are up to date with their COVID-19 vaccination. Up to date on COVID-19 vaccination means you have received all doses in the primary series and all boosters recommended for you, when eligible.
- Visit the CDC's website prior to the CNA class start date for additional information.
Full class and registration details are distributed with the placement test results.
Upon successful completion of the CNA class, you are eligible to sit for the CNA exam through the Virginia Board of Nursing.
For additional information regarding the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP®) Examination, please visit the Credentia website or speak with a Credentia call center agent by calling 866-340-3555.
The course includes:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for health care providers)
- Patient Assessment
- Wound Care
- Obstetrics (OB)
- EMS operations
This is a state-approved curriculum that qualifies students for the state and national registry exams. Exam fees are included with your registration.
The National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) is the Nation’s EMS Certification. For additional information regarding this please visit their website for more details.
The National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified Personal Trainer program is an 80 hour Online Anytime class.
Start with this prep class to become a certified personal trainer (CPT) and reach your career goals.
This class gives you the most extensive resources available to successfully pass the NASM Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) exam. In this class there will be:
- Online videos
- Interactive activities
- Receive thorough guidance.
- Gain the knowledge, skills, and abilities you need to become a successful NASM personal trainer.
- Learn mastery of health and fitness topics, including:
- Program design
- Human movement science
- Fitness assessments
- Teaching methods
- Customer service
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
- First aid skills
- Gain understanding of CPT content and knowledge needed to successfully sit for the exam.
There are no prerequisites to taking this class.
This class also includes exam preparation and all study materials as well as the certification exam fee.
The National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) accredited NASM personal trainer certification is one of the most respected in the health and fitness industry.
Prior to sitting for the NCCA Accredited certification exam the candidate must:
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Hold current certifications in:
- Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR)
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
The National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified Nutrition Coach is an 80 hour Online Anytime class.
Nutrition plays a key role in almost every aspect of the health and fitness industry. In this class, you will learn the foundational principles of nutrition science:
- Nutrient timing
Other things you will learn in this class include:
- Influences dietary eating patterns:
- Geographic region
- Socioeconomic status
- To customize a communication and coaching approach to fit your client's profile.
- To conduct a comprehensive client assessment and body composition testing.
- To explain the mechanisms and science behind trending diets.
As a NASM Certified Nutrition Coach, you will be able to:
- Coach clients in both fitness and nutrition.
- Be able to create customized, evidence-based nutrition programs for your fitness clients.
- Gain the skills and expertise needed to fill several health and fitness jobs, such as:
- Sports nutritionist
- Weight management consultant
- Wellness coach
This is an industry-recognized certification. This certification proves that you understand nutritional science and behavior change strategies and can effectively coach clients.
Successfully completing our nutrition class will make you a NASM Certified Nutrition Coach. The final exam in the class is the certification exam.
ACE currently has 2 options. Successful completion of either option leads to CCMA certification through National HealthCareer Association (NHA).
An exam voucher is included with both courses.
- 540 hours of self-paced learning.
- Start the course at any time (open enrollment) and will have 12 months to complete it.
- A dedicated student advisor to help navigate and complete the course.
- Includes an externship starter kit.
- In-person and online learning.
- Includes CPR and First Aid training.
Certification may be available through National Healthcareer Association (NHA) and is aligned to ACE Health and Medical classes.
The Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) course
- is Online Anytime (self-paced)
- is 160-hours
- Includes an exam voucher
- Prepares you to take the National HealthCareer Association (NHA) Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) certification exam
Once your registration is processed, you have 6 months to complete it. When registering for the class, please disregard the start date you see; it is a placeholder for internal purposes. You may start the course at any time.
This comprehensive online course teaches medical office skills including:
- Managing patient flow.
- Scheduling appointments.
- Processing insurance claims; including assigning medical codes.
- Maintaining electronic health records.
- Understanding law, ethics and healthcare.
- Composing correspondence.
- Performing daily financial practices.
You will be assigned a student advisor to help you navigate the course. You may be assigned an instructor or team of industry experts for one-on-one course interaction. Support will be available by email to answer any questions you may have and to provide feedback on your performance.
ACE currently has 2 options; both include an exam voucher.
Online Classes - With Instructor
- Healthcare professionals (with or without experience)
- Anyone interested in:
- Medical billing
- Claim adjudication
- General revenue cycle management and associated professions.
Topics covered include:
- Basic medical terminology
- Billing cycles
- Front end procedures
- Claim preparation and submission
- Account resolution
- Commonly used forms
- Introduction to the coding systems (ICD10-CM, CPT, HCPC and ICD10-PCS)
- Fraud and abuse
- Commercial insurance
- Regulatory compliance
The course includes CPR AED First Aid certification (this is in-person).
Successful completion of the online class prepares you for the Certified Billing and Coding (CBCS) exam offered through the National HealthCareer Association (NHA).
This anytime class:
- Is 370 hours of self-paced learning.
- Start the course at any time (open enrollment).
- 12 months to complete the course.
- Includes a dedicated student advisor to help navigate and complete the course.
- Includes study materials for the chosen credential.
Successful completion of the Anytime course leads to certification in one of these 3 nationally recognized credentials:
- Certified Professional Coder CPC® Certification Exam offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA®) exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- Certified Billing and Coding (CBCS) exam offered by the National HealthCareer Association (NHA).
Learn to perform venipunctures competently and safely. This course includes:
- Collection and transport procedures
- Hands-on laboratory practice.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- Exam voucher
Students are eligible for the national certification exam at the completion of the course.
- The minimum age for this class is 18.
- Current vaccine documentation is due the first week of class.
Students must wear to class:
- Lab coat
- Closed-toe shoes (non-permeable upper)
Students are required to purchase this book:
Phlebotomy: Worktext and Procedures Manual, 5th Ed. by Robin S. Warekois, MT (ASCP), Richard Robinson, NASW and Pamela Primrose. ISBN 9780323642668
The Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) class is
- Online Anytime
- 134 hours
- HIPAA compliance
- Electronic health record management
- Insurance and billing
The Certified EKG Technician course is
- Online Anytime
- 100 hours
- Includes an exam voucher for one of the exams listed below.
There are no prerequisites.
Once your registration is processed, you will have 6 months to complete the class.
You will learn key subjects needed to earn a nationally recognized EKG technician certification, such as:
- Measuring basic vital signs
- Performing rapid response procedures
- Operating an EKG machine
- Identifying rhythms
This course prepares you to take and pass one of 2 certification exams:
The Patient Care Technician course is:
- Online Anytime (self-paced)
- 300 hours
- Includes a prepaid voucher for the Certified Patient Care Technician Level I Exam
There are no prerequisites. Students have 12 months to complete the instruction.
This online patient care class includes:
- Introduction to patient care
- Legal issues in healthcare
- Standard precautions and infection control
- Medical terminology
- Physical examination
- Patient positioning and bed mobility
- Range of motion
- Therapeutic exercises
- Assistive devices, orthosis, and prosthesis
- Transfer techniques
- Wound care and pressure sores
- Wheelchair management
- Patient care competency
- Will help you gain the skills needed to work with patients in various healthcare facilities.
- Prepares you to become a Certified Patient Care Technician Level I.
Patient Care Technician Level I Information
A Certified Patient Care Technician Level I is a valuable professional credential that validates your specialized skill set.
Patient care technicians observe, catalog, and communicate patient needs and concerns while reporting any changes in status to the patient's care team.
As a patient care technician, you
- Are responsible for making your patients feel comfortable and cared for.
- This often requires that you provide emotional support and guidance during their treatment.
- Support other healthcare staff in caring for patients, including:
- Other medical personnel
- Play a direct role in caring for patients in various healthcare settings such as
- Nursing homes
- Long-term care facilities.
Your main role as a patient care technician is to improve patient well-being. You'll communicate what the patient is feeling in addition to their medical status. In short, you'll play a very important role in the healthcare sector.
Some duties and responsibilities may include:
- Regularly checking and recording patient blood pressure, heart rate, and pulse.
- Listening to patient concerns, answering questions, and providing guidance.
- Monitoring conditions and providing updates to other members of the healthcare team.
- Moving patients as needed.
- Repositioning patients as needed.
- Turning patients as needed.
- Helping patients dress and use the bathroom.
- Monitoring patient liquid and food intake.
- Escorting patients for tests or procedures in other areas of the medical facility.
This exam is offered by the American Education Certification Association (AECA). The voucher is prepaid and allows you to sit for the certifying exam upon eligibility.
Turn your passion for helping animals into a rewarding career! Our Veterinary Assistant program is designed to prepare you for a career with animals.
The Veterinary Assistant course:
- Is Hybrid; includes virtual meetings with the instructor and in-person labs.
- Includes labs and hospital visits
- An externship
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) AED First Aid certification
You will learn:
- Veterinary terminology and anatomy
- Preventative medicine for dogs and cats
- Basic restraints
- Zoonotic diseases
- Medical asepsis
The Dental Assistant course
- Prepares you to enter the dental profession as a chairside assistant.
- Includes Basic Life Support (BLS) and First Aid certification.
Fluency in English is required.
In this class you will learn:
- Clinical skills
- Job responsibilities
Clinical skills practiced in a dental lab.
ACE is your one-stop shop for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification or teacher recertification offering American Heart Association Heartsaver and Basic Life Support (BLS) classes. You can join a scheduled class or reach out to schedule a private class for your staff or friends.
For information on tuition assistance for ACE Health/Medical classes including payment plans and scholarships, please contact the ACE Career and Outreach Specialist.