Fairfax County Youth Substance Use Trends and Opioid Response
Fairfax County Public Schools has partnered with Fairfax County Government to provide an educational webinar on youth substance use trends and supports.
Translate this page
Due to the rise in opioid overdoses in the Fairfax Health District, which is consistent with national and state trends, Fairfax County Public Schools has partnered with Fairfax County Government to provide an educational webinar on youth substance use trends and supports.
- Most Commonly Used Substances
- In Depth Opioid Information
- Reasons Why Youth Use Substances
- Ways Parents Can Support their Children
- Available FCPS and Fairfax County Resources
- Ways Students, Parents, and Community Members can connect with Support Providers
Webinar Presentation Video
Below is a video recording of the Fairfax County Youth Substance Use Trends Webinar that was presented in April. The video is also available in the following languages: Amharic and Spanish .
Webinar PowerPoint Presentation and TranslationsView a text-only outline of the presentation and PDFs of the PowerPoint presentation in the following languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, Korean, Spanish, and Vietnamese).
The following resources are referenced throughout the webinar.
- Substance Abuse Prevention (SAP) Program
FCPS Substance Abuse Prevention Specialists provide substance abuse prevention, education, and intervention services throughout the county.
- Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board
Provides services for people of all ages who have mental illness, substance use disorders and/or developmental disabilities.
- Chris Atwood Foundation
Local organization providing free harm reduction and recovery support services (including family peer support) and advocacy for people impacted by substance use.
- Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court (JDRDC) Parent Support Group
Offered by Juvenile Court for parents/guardians of teens under 18 (court involved or not) with behavioral issues, including substance use (available in English and Spanish).
- PRS Family Support
Peer support to families of children, youth and young adults with behavioral health issues.
- Coordinated Services Planning
Information, assistance, and referral for basic needs (food, housing, health care, etc.) and other human services.
- This Is Quitting
Free text-based vaping cessation program for youth and young adults.
- Mental Health Resources
Does my child have a mental health concern? Learn more and find local resources.
- Youth Mental Health First Aid Course
- Healthy Minds Fairfax
- Fairfax County Opioid and Substance Use Task Force
- Fairfax – Falls Church Community Services Board
- REVIVE! Training on how to recognize the signs and symptoms of an opioid overdose
- Fairfax County Opioid Dashboard
- Fairfax County’s FY23-25 Opioid Response Plan (PDF)
- Child Mind Institute
- Chris Atwood Foundation
- Northern Virginia Family Services
Opioids: Learn How To Get Help and Prevent Overdoses
May 19, 2022
Healthy Minds Feature - Opioid overdoses are increasing nationally among youth and young adults. Know how to prevent overdose.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug Programs
FCPS offers activities and learning experiences which focus on the many ways marijuana, alcohol, tobacco/vaping, and other drug use can negatively impact student lives.