Proposed Updates to the Student Rights and Responsibilities (SR&R) Document
FCPS is in the process of updating the Student Rights and Responsibilities document for the 2023-24 School Year.
The Student Rights and Responsibilities (SR&R) document provides clear expectations for student behavior, responses to that behavior, and support that may be needed.
Proposed changes include:
- A strong Belief and Value Statement was added to the beginning of the SR&R to set a positive tone about our beliefs regarding discipline.
- Language in the dress code has been modified to be more specific and objective, as well as less gendered. The focus is on the specific clothes that are/are not permitted rather than the amount of skin permitted to be shown. The Student Dress Code regulation (R 2613) is also being revised to reflect these changes, and to include a belief statement and corresponding values relative to the dress code.
- Draft proposals for several substance misuse infractions include changing the minimum FCPS Student Behavior and Administrative Response (SBAR) Level to at least Level 3, in alignment with Model Guidance and given the increased concern regarding substance misuse.
- The definition of discriminatory harassment has been revised to define what constitutes an “intimidating, hostile, or offensive student environment,” and specific examples of how discriminatory harassment may be expressed are provided.
- Hazing is currently listed as an FCPS SBAR Level 2-5 infraction. It is proposed to be a Level 5 infraction only to align with the model policies established by the Department of Education.
- Principals or their designees will now be required to notify the parent/guardian of any student who is involved in an alleged bullying incident of the alleged incident within 24 hours of learning of such allegation.
- Language was included in the SR&R setting the expectation that staff respond and intervene in situations involving hate speech.
Our goal is to ensure each and every student's right to an education in a safe, civil, and caring environment.
The School Board is scheduled to approve the 2023-24 SR&R on June 15, 2023.
The 2022-2023 Student Rights and Responsibilities (SR&R) document explains expectations for student behavior and adult responses to enhance school safety and to create a fair, equitable and supportive school environment.