Navigating Special Education Needs and Parental Rights
Information on Special Education Services and parental rights, including parental consent, specifically for our military families.
Special Education Instruction and Services
Fairfax County Public Schools provides many supports and services to students with special needs and their families.
- If your child has a current individualized education program (IEP) or has an existing IEP and needs reevaluation to determine eligibility for special education in Virginia, FCPS will provide comparable services until a FCPS IEP is developed (generally within 30 calendar days.)
- If you believe your child may have a disability and is in need of special education services, you may make a written or oral referral to your child’s school. Learn more about Child Find.
PROCEDURAL SUPPORT LIAISON (PSL)
Procedural Support Liaisons provide information about special education services, guidelines, and procedures. There is one PSL assigned to each pyramid of schools.Find the PSL that supports your child's school
SPECIAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTION
FCPS provides programs and services to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities.Learn more about Special Education Instruction
The Military Interstate Compact, MIC3, addresses key educational transition issues encountered by children of military families, and addresses special education services for military-connected students.
- The receiving state shall initially provide comparable services to a student with disabilities based on their current IEP; and
- The receiving state shall make reasonable accommodations and modifications to address the needs of incoming students with disabilities, subject to an existing 504 or Title II Plans, to provide the student with equitable access to educational and
- The receiving school may perform subsequent evaluations to ensure appropriate placement and appropriate services.
The following documents provide general guidance and information related to military-connected students:
- FCPS Special Education Parent Handbook
- FCPS Procedural Safeguards
- VDOE Transfer of Children with Disabilities and Special Education Protections Briefing
- VDOE Guidance for Military Families with Students in Special Education