Adult Learner's Permit Testing (18 years old or older)
Learner's Permit Test for adults through Adult and Community Education
Adult and Community Education (ACE) now offers the convenience of an Adult Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Learner’s Permit Test. This test is for Adults over 18 that are NOT currently a student in Fairfax County Public Schools. This test will satisfy the requirements for an Adult looking to receive an Adult Driver Privilege Learner’s Permit.
To get an Adult Learner’s Permit you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Complete a two-part test
- Signs: 10 signs, must score 100%
- Knowledge: 25 questions, must score 80%
- The test is available in multiple languages
To take the test with ACE, complete a two-part registration process:
- Register for this test with ACE.
- Register directly with the DMV and submit supplementation information such as proof of Fairfax County residency.
The two-part Adult Permit Tests are offered at:
After Passing the Test
After Successfully passing the Adult Learner’s Permit Test, wait the necessary number of days to apply for a license directly through DMV.
Those 18 years of age or older, who have never held a license issued by any U.S. state or territory, or foreign country, must
- hold a learner’s permit for at least 60 days before applying for a driver’s license test.
- be able to provide proof of completion of a state-approved driver education program. This program for adults is not available through ACE.
- be able to pass a vision test at the DMV.
- be able to provide proof of Fairfax County Residency to the DMV.