Mentor Screening and Application Process
Potential mentors must attend a virtual mentor training session and complete the fingerprinting process and a background check.
To apply to be a mentor you will need to:
- Attend a virtual mentor training session. Pre-registration is required.
- Provide two personal references. For each reference, you will need (1) a name, (2) a phone number, and (3) an email address.
- Complete the fingerprinting process in person at the Gatehouse Administrative building located at 8115 Gatehouse Rd. Falls Church, VA. **The FCPS process for fingerprinting is compliant with CDC guidelines for safety (please see details below).
- Be cleared to mentor through the FCPS background check. In some cases, a prior criminal conviction can prevent a community member from volunteering in FCPS. In addition, active duty law enforcement officers are not required to complete the background check process (please see details below).
FCPS Fingerprinting Process
- After you complete the training, the Mentoring Specialist will notify Human Resources (HR) that you have been trained and are eligible for fingerprinting.
- HR will send you a series of links that will enable you to complete the online paperwork for the criminal background check, and you will be asked to choose an appointment time for fingerprinting.
- After you schedule your appointment, you will receive an email which confirm the date and time of your appointment.
- This email will also outline current operating procedures for fingerprinting to include any measures that might be in place to protect your health.
- Appointments are scheduled to allow for one person at a time (per machine).
FCPS Background Check (Regulation 4119)
- FCPS regulations preclude anyone with a felony conviction from volunteering in the schools.
- Misdemeanor charges are evaluated based on the nature of the offense, the age of the person at the time of the offense, and the amount of time between the date of the offense and the date of application.
- FCPS does not accept government security clearances or background checks from other organizations in lieu of their own background check.
- Active-duty (sworn) law enforcement personnel are exempt from the background check but must attend mentor training. When you attend the training, please email Martha Macdonald at [email protected] to let her know that you will not be participating in the background check process