Community Review of K-6 Language Arts Basal Resources
Learn more about the Elementary Language Arts Basal Resources being reviewed for adoption for the 2024-25 School Year.
In compliance with the Virginia Literacy Act, Fairfax County Public Schools is adopting Elementary (K-6) Language Arts Basal Resources for the 2024-25 school year. The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) has released an initial list of approved materials for grades K-3 in June 2023, and will be releasing a second list of resources for K-5 in November 2023.
FCPS will be adopting a basal resource in accordance with the process outlined in Regulation 3004.
- July 1 through July 31, 2023: Elementary Language Arts basal instructional materials from the cycle I list were available online and in person for public review and comment.
- July to August 2023: A review committee composed of community members, administrators, and teachers met to review the instructional materials and community feedback from the cycle I list.
- November 15 - December 15, 2023: Additional approved materials from the cycle II list will be available for community review.
- January: A review committee composed of community members, administrators, and teachers will review the instructional materials and community feedback from the cycle II list.
- Spring 2024: Staff will make a recommendation to the School Board.
- Fall 2024: The adopted basal resources will be implemented for School Year 2024-2025.
Print Materials Review
All physical texts will be available for review at Pimmit Hills Center, Room 207, 7510 Lisle Avenue, Falls Church, VA 22043
- Dates: November 15, 2023 to December 15, 2023
- Monday through Thursday: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Extended Hours: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on December 1.
Saturday Hours: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on December 2.
Digital Resources Review
- Resources under consideration are listed below with their associated login information.
- When accessing online materials, assume that the account username and password are case-sensitive.
- Please log out when you are finished.
- Some demonstration accounts only allow for one person to be logged in at a time.
The feedback form is available online from November 15 until December 15, 2023.
- Go to Savvas Realize
- Log in
- Username: Fairfax_myView
- Password: Savvas2023
- Explore the programs.
About myView Literacy
myView Literacy allows you to teach integrated literacy grounded in the science of learning, and inspires creativity to teach from your heart and be yourself. At the same time, it empowers your students to learn from the world around them as their stories begin to unfold.
Wit & Wisdom has paired with Wilson Fundations® as a comprehensive core instructional program.
Celebrate the joys of reading, writing, speaking , and more with Wit & Wisdom® along with Geodes® and Wilson Fundations®, all designed to build student content knowledge while enhancing their creativity, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration skills.
Fundations® utilizes a structured literacy approach grounded in the science of reading to make learning to read fun while laying the groundwork for lifelong literacy. The program’s research-based approach and extensive materials allow K–3 teachers to confidently present a carefully structured reading, spelling, and handwriting curriculum using engaging, multisensory techniques. Fundations is aligned with the science of reading and guides teachers to provide effective instructional practices.
Wit & Wisdom has paired with Really Great Reading as a comprehensive core instructional program.
Wit & Wisdom, Really Great Reading, and Geodes, provide Fairfax County schools with a complete solution supported by the science of reading research that provides all students with access to explicit foundational skills instruction and the coherent, rigorous, content-rich texts necessary for becoming proficient readers, writers, speakers, and listeners.